Midi CC curves suddenly get reset since update 11.0.10

With this update, Midi CC curves (using the new handle in the key editor) that I spent a lot of time tweaking in my orchestral parts, suddenly get reset mid-project after saving, shutting down and re-opening the project as usual. This means I’ll have go back and basically do it all over again in every single part of the project. This was working fine in 11.0. FFS come on, Steinberg!

Setup: MacOS 10.14.6, VE Pro 7, CP 11.0.10

Hi and welcome,

Is it always reproducible? Does it mean, the MIDI CC curves are not stored on your side?

Or could you reproduce it only once? Or can you reproduce it with all projects created in Cubase 11.0.0, you open in Cubase 11.0.10?

I was a (mostly reading) member of the old forum for many years, but thank you! :slight_smile:

It seems to happen randomly and has occurred twice since last week.
I don’t really understand what you mean by “the MIDI CC curves are not stored” - whenever I edit MIDI CC data, using bezier curves or by drawing manually, it gets saved with the project. But since 11.0.10 it loads correctly 8 out of 10 times which of course is a major not to say time consuming problem. Also, as bezier curves is a new feature introduced in 11, I have only used them in one project so far.
This is a long shot, but it just hit me that it might have to do something with MIDI/Functions/Thin Out Data which I do on a regular basis towards the end of a session before saving and quitting.

Hi,

Do you double-check the result after the Thin Out Data function, please?

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. Can’t remember if I checked it before closing the project in these two particular cases. I’ve had four sessions with the same project during the course of three days since the curves got reset the last time and it has not happened again so far.

Opened the project today and it happened again. This time only in two parts/regions but still.

I’m going back to drawing every MIDI CC in manually in the key editor without using bezier curves. This feature is broken!

…and it happened again today in 4 of the parts/regions in the project that were using bezier curves before I decided to do the rest the traditional way.
As there are no comments by other users I have concluded that I must be the only one in the world experiencing these irritating issues. Apparently there is some kind of black magic going on inside my machine and Cubase. Wow!

I would tend to attribute this kind of thing to some corruption of preferences.

Hi,

Of course, you can try in Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences]. Myself, I would be wondering, because you can reproduce it sometimes only. But better to try.

Hi Carlster-I have been having problems with cubase changing tracks from one to another and the volume turning all the way down to zero randomly as well. Extremely frustrating.

Ok, so it happened again and I found out that it indeed has to do with the “thin out data” option.
Let’s say that I’m drawing a cc curve manually and at some point decide to use a bezier curve for the rest of the phrase, it then gets reset (the curve defaults to the top) as soon as I use the “thin out data” command. Can anyone else confirm this?

Edit: I forgot to say that I’ve updated to 11.0.20 since my first post and the problem persists.

Hi,

I can confirm, the “Thin out data” deletes bezier curves in some special cases (if the node with the following bezier curve is very close to the previous node, so the node with the bezier curve becomes deleted). Is this what you are talking about?

I usually leave the manually input CC pretty close to the following bezier curve, yes.
Still, this is an issue that should be adressed by Steinberg as the starting point connected to a bezier curve should not be affected by the Thin out data command. Otherwise it totally defeats the purpose of using them if you can’t combine them with manually drawn curves.

The bezier curves still gets reset from time to time upon opening a saved project, without issuing the Thin out data command, although this happens randomly.

Hi,

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

Great, thank you! :slightly_smiling_face: