Midi CC over multiple channel

Hello everyone.

I tried looking for an answer on the forum but I’m probably not typing the right words.

Now I have a Midi track that goes into a Kontakt Rack Instrument. Kontakt has two patches: Oboe 1 and Oboe 2. With the expression map I can tell the higher not to play on channel 1 (oboe 1 in kontakt) and the lower note to play on channel 2 (oboe 2 on kontakt). Now, since the dynamic is controlled by Modulation Wheel I would like to know if there is a way to control both notes at the same time. I know I can put an automation for each single note but that is for a very single note, I would love to use Dynamic Mapping or a mod wheel and to have it affect all of the midi channel.
Basically I would need a Midi CC set to “Any”

Any Ideas?

Hi,

Add the Transformer as a MIDI Insert to the MIDI Track.

Set it following:
Filter
Type Is | Equal | Controller

Action
Channel | Set to fixed Value | 2

Function
Insert

Mmm Nope. It doesn’t work.

Or am I missing something?

Let’s sum up.

Kontakt → Oboe 1 (Channel 1), Oboe 2 (Channel 2)
One Midi track (“Oboes”) → one instrument Rack.
Midi Channel → Any

Expression Map tells that the higher note goes to channel 1, the lower note goes to channel 2.

Modulation Wheel (CC#01) Goes from 127 to 0 in 3 bars (to make it simple).

I’m doing as you said, but nothing happens. The Oboe 1 gets the CC#01 right, the Oboe 2 doesn’t…

If You need I can send a screenshot

Please, send a screenshot. On my side, it sends the MIDI CCs on both Channels at once: Channel 1 & Channel 2.

Here it is the screenshot.

Now it’s the first time I use the Transformer thing, I might have messed up something

http://www.cassandraproduzioni.it/Screenshot-cubase.jpg

It seems to be OK. Could you add MIDI Monitor Insert effect after the Transformer and observe which data is send out? Or route the output of the MIDI track to any MIDI onpbserver application (MIDI-OX for Windows or MIDI Monitor for Mac)?

This is somewhere in the middle.

For what I understand that is correct.

I actually found what bugs everything. It’s the Expression Map. If I select each note and set the channel in the upper part of the Key Editor it works like a charm. But if I use the Exp Map it stops working.
Now… I use the exp map also to change articulations… As you see in the first screenshot I have 8 articulations… it’s kinda annoying to change every single note by hand…

Yes, both MIDI CCs was sent, on Channel 1 and 2.

Yes… unfortunately, in this case, because you are using the Expression Map to effectively change MIDI channels, it is taking priority over the channelizing via the Transformer (I too don’t see why it has to do that… although it will work ok for notes that are not playing simultaneously… it simply channelizes the controller to the currently-active MIDI channel as set by the expression map at that point :wink: ).
The only thing I can suggest, is to use a 2nd MIDI track (with no Expression Map on it), exclusively for the controller data, and filter out the CC data (preferably, on the input side, via the Input Transformer) on the original track that has the Expression Map on it.

Thank you! I’ve been looking exactly for this thing. It works. But it’s necessary to add the Transformer as a MIDI Insert, not to use the track’s Input Transformer. Also, it doesn’t “stack” the channels. It means, you can add one Controller Channel per Insert e.g. you can get the same Controller on 5 MIDI Channels (the original + 4 “transformed”). Furthermore: this method applies only on Controller Lane within the MIDI Clip. You can’t use Midi Automation Lanes. If you need to, you must create a MIDI Track with the Automation Lane routed to the Instrument track with the Transformer inserted. Of course, it doesn’t move with che original MIDI Instrument Clip unless you group them.