MIDI CC to Channel Switch

Hello, bit of a newbie issue here. I’m trying to use the Input Transformer (or its MIDI effect variant) to take an incoming CC message and change MIDI channels according to its value.

E.G.: CC 28 between the values of 0 and 30 will set the MIDI channel to 1, between 31 and 60 will set the channel to 2, between 61 and 90 set to channel 3, and so on. The idea is to avoid using a notes as a key switch to change MIDI channels, and instead use a knob or pedal.

I’ve searched around a bit online and found plenty of tutorials and even some forum posts here that were related to the transformer’s functionality, but hours of fiddling around with presets hasn’t yet yielded a working method. So either I’m completely dense or the transformer can’t actually do what I’m trying to make it do.

That said, if there’s a way to do this besides using the input transformer, I would love to know about it!

I’m using the full version of Cubase 6.

Hello,

I’m afraid, you have to use more Transformers in this case. There is no possibilities, how to program logical functions and different results.

So, prepare 1st Transformer with Filter Target:
Type is ::: Equal ::: Controller ::: And
Value 2 (MIDI Controller Value) ::: Inside Range ::: 0 ::: 30

and Action Target:
Channel ::: Set to fixed value ::: 1

Prepare 2nd Tranformer with Filter Target:
Value 2 (MIDI Controller Value) ::: Inside Range ::: 31 ::: 60

and Action Target:
Channel ::: Set to fixed value ::: 2

Prepare 3th Tranformer with Filter Target:
Value 2 (MIDI Controller Value) ::: Inside Range ::: 61 ::: 90

and Action Target:
Channel ::: Set to fixed value ::: 3

Of course, in the first and the last Transformers, you can use Less or Equal and/or Bigger or Equal condition instead of the Range In.

Be careful, there are just 4 MIDI Inserts in any MIDI/Instrument track.

I think, it’s better to use KeySwitching and Expression Map settings in this case. This is much more flexible. You will switch the channel by KeySwitch, not by MIDI CCs, what is much more exact. And you can set up to 128 different settings, theoratically.

Or you can use buttons on your MIDI keyboard with sending MIDI CCs. Then, yo can use the Generic Remote device for Soloing of different tracks, with different MIDI channels prepared before.

Ah, so each transformer only performs one function. That’s what I was missing, thanks!

Still, there’s no way to set up this kind of channel switching method for more than four channels? It’s not so terrible, I can use key switches with expression maps, but I just fancied the idea of having my hands free to play while my feet did the switching. Maybe a pedalboard / foot controller could solve that.

Many thanks for the help!

I don’t know your situation, setup, and needs in detail. But generaly, yes, pedal board is solution in these cases.

Hello,

One more thing. You can use the Input Transformer of the tracks (Global, or Local, I think, local is the right one in this case).

You can use it very similar, like MIDI Insert Transformer. There are 4 modules. If you use 4 MIDI Insert Transformers, and 4 modules of Input Transformer, you can get up to 8 transformers.

It’s not too much, but it’s twice more, tan before (with MIDI Insert Transformer only). :wink:

I had tried to use the input transformer to change channels before, but it mysteriously wasn’t working. Perhaps I fail at Cubase syntax, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out eventually. I didn’t think to use both the input transformer and MIDI insert transformers before, and that may actually work very well for what I need. Many thanks for the idea :slight_smile:

Should be noted that expression maps don’t seem to allow the input transformers to work…?

I don’t think so. I don’t see a reason for it.

The 32-bit Windows ‘donationware’ program, MIDI Ox (in conjunction with MIDI Yoke) might help: http://www.midiox.com

Assuming your MIDI input is coming from an external (MIDI keyboard) controller, you route the controller data through MIDI Ox and then on to Cubase (via MIDI ports created by MIDI Yoke, analogous to using MIDI patch cords to route a MIDI signal). Within MIDI Ox, you can set up transformations, and save them for future use. Sometimes it’s a lot easier to use MIDI Ox rather than Cubase’s input transformer. (You can think of it as extending the MIDI capabilities of your controller; Cubase sees and records the pre-processed data as if it came straight from your controller.)