Midi clock in stop mode

I’m trying to sync my Pittsburgh SV-1 via midi clock. Everything is working fine, except Cubase will not send clock when I hit stop, despite the fact that I have “Send Midi Clock in Stop Mode” checked. am I misinterpreting what that checkbox means? I just want the synth to receive clock all of the time so that I can hear it without hitting play/record. You can see the little light on the SV-1 that shows every clock pulse when it’s receiving it (and of course the sound, as I have the clock triggering the sound every beat). That light is off when I hit stop. When I hit play, it starts again. I have the following settings:

Internal Timecode (Fireface 400)
no machine control active
midi timecode destinations FF400 1 and 2 (SV-1 being on midi 2 port)
midi timecode follows project timeline
Midi clock destinations FF400 1 and 2 (SV-1 being on midi 2 port)
Send midi clock in stop mode

Very nice instrument. I’d ask this question on their website or in some of the other forums where Pittsburgh users may be posting.

It sounds like the Project Synchronization Setup is correct. Are you using Internal Time Code? Here’s a shot of my Synch Setup and it sends MIDI Clock to the my Advance 49 in Stop Mode. Do you perhaps have Cubase set to “Use External Synch?” (Transport menu).

Is there perhaps some setting in the instrument that may need to be changed? Good luck sorting it out. In glancing over the instrument’s website, It looks like this “should” work just fine.

I think it’s definitely a Cubase thing because the SV-1 will take anything that’s sent to it’s clock. Also I think that the SV-1 doesn’t know the difference between start/stop, only the tempo. I’m using internal timecode from fireface…

Actually, after checking the SV-1 manual, it apparently does respond to start/stop: “External midi clock responds to midi start/stop messages and midi tempo from an external midi clock source.” I’ll have to investigate more.

Keep pecking at it. My gut says “it will work.” (at least to some degree).

Hi, did you find a solution for this? I have exactly the same problem. Cubase won’t send clock when its on stop, will only send it when it’s during play.
I already tried many different settings and cannot find a solution. Hope somebody will chime in.

Thanks!

Same problem here trying to run a Quantum Sequencer when Cubase is stopped. Are you using MIDI DIN or USB ? The Synths I have running USB MIDI seem fine except for a short freak out when you stop or start, otherwise they get the clock when stopped. Only anything on a DIN connection won’t. I’m running USB to a Komplete Kontrol S88 then out the MIDI port to the Quantum. I suppose it could be the S88 stopping it after the stop command …

Bump… Using an Akai MPK mini mk3, the keyboard gets MIDI clock and the arpeggiator works during Playback/Record, but not during STOP (despite having Send MIDI Clock in Stop Mode checked).

Is this just a bug in Cubase (using Elements v11.0.10)?

I am also having this issue. Cubase 11 is refusing to send clock when stopped, and I have it set to send when stopped. It’s hooked up to a Waldorf Quantum. I have it on the Q’s sync screen, and can clearly see the clock stopping and starting with Cubase.

Same issue here now with a Moog Sub37. I tried sending the clock both through USB MIDI (Sub37’s own MIDI in) and DIN MIDI (old fashioned midi cable).
Very, very annoying that Steinberg hasn’t looked into this yet.

Anyone found a solution?

Here also the same issue also with an SV-1b. Works flawlessly in when playing but not during stop.

Anyone with a solution:
I have a Subsequent 37 and the box checked “send midi in stop mode” in Cubase 12.
I mean I can deactivate the sync button on the Subsequent 37 each time I stop the Cubase playhead but why is there a (great) option if it isn’t working?
Any hints welcooooome!

Not sure I understand this. When Cubase stops playback it keeps sending the F8 (clock) message, after of course it sends the FC (stop) one. You mean your S37 is ignoring the stop?

Have you checked that with an 3rd party midi monitor?
The devices do not ignore the stop message. They rather behave like there are no clock or tick events sent anymore.

This is a problem additional to Cubase’s MIDI clock being totally off-sync and the option “MIDI Clock follows project position” in conjunction with cycle mode shifting the timing even more.

I would recommend to anybody that wants to use a MIDI clock to use another DAW. Cubase’s clock is broken for many years.

Hi mate, I do monitor this using BMT and my personal app (java built).

Doesn’t this have to do with the devices and not Cubase? I mean, in my app, I get a “stop” (and location as well), I stop. I’m still receiving the time clock afterwards. When I get the “cont” or “play” again, I proceed.
Note that I may be missing things about how hardware devices deal with these commands (I’m nowhere near a midi expert), and I may be quite wrong on what is the expected behaviour using such protocols. What I’m describing is how I personally deal with them using software and this can be a case of wrong sent/ wrong received/ right communicated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for confirming. If your monitor shows that Cubase continues to send F8 after the stop event then it must be the devices. Maybe they won’t react to clock signals after a stop event until they get play or continue.

Does your app assign or receive time stamps to the individual events? If so, you could maybe look if the intervals of the F8’s are stable. On my timing tests I have Cubase start “on time”, and within the first bar the intervals are too short. After a short while it then becomes the interval as expected. This initial shift leads to everything being off-set on my external gear. Notes that should be on the grid being placed 15 to 25 ticks too early.

I want to play my Subsequent 37 Arpeggiator synchronized to whatever bpm, even if Cubase is not playing / recording. From my understanding my mentioned “send midi in stop mode” means that my S37 should do that - right?

Hi @Johnny_Moneto!

Here’s some testing at 120bpm (I’ve tried also the 240bpm with quite similar deviations).

Project is stopped. We get this:

We press play:

We press stop:

We do see small deviations, but I think they are to be expected. Note that this app is using virtual ports and runs at the same device. On the other hand, this is a dev PC with a generic audio driver loaded. If I have the time I can test this on my music PC.

1 Like

mchantzi’'s monitor shows that Cubase still sends the clock, even after the stop event was sent. It could be that your S37 receives the stop signal and then just ignores all incoming clock events until a start or continue event was received.
Do you have the possibility to get in contact with the maker of the S37 to inquire about that?

Strange.

To show you what happens on my end please see the screenshot below.
I send midi clock to the arpeggiator of an Akai MPKmini (USB MIDI connection). There I just press a key and get 16th notes in return. This I record on a midi track in Cubase.
I use 480ppq so for the ticks 120 = 0. In a perfect world all notes would be on x.x.x.0
They start close to it and, then intervals are short until they settle between ~95 to 105 ticks.
I pressed the key approx. 9 bars after starting playback/record to give the Akai ample time to sync up.

From bar 11 to bar 13 is approx. 4 seconds.

This is Win10 and tried with legacy Windows MIDI and with WinRT - no difference.
Of course, it can be that the Akai or USB-MIDI is the culprit here. If one searches for MIDI Clock on this forum reports of offesets go back to more than 10 years ago. If USB-MIDI causes the issue… well, then we PC users are out of luck.