Midi Delay When Recording External Midi Device

Hello – I’m having midi delay issues when recording external midi instrument. I have several instruments behaving like this and I can figure out what is going on. I’m on Cubase 5 for Windows 64 bit w/ and M-Audio Delta 1010. When recording I can clearly see that the midi signal is recording correctly in Cubase based on the midi monitor signals coming through. However, sending that signal back to the instrument to be played is delayed. I’ve also noticed that if I turn all other midi tracks off, that this resolves the problem. However, I’d like to be recording my new part with the other tracks playing. What’s weird is that sometime I can get everything to work by toggling on /off midi monitoring, Constrain delay compensation, and enable Use System Timestamp for DirectMusic. However, it’s completely inconsistent. It will begin to work for a few recording passes and then revert to the same delay problems. Very annoying! Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks - Ben

bump

no one???

Research Emulated MIDI Ports.

Please note that my midi timing is fine when only 1 instrument is playing/being recorded… should I still be researching Emulated MIDI Ports?

PS - Your MIDI timing link doesn’t work in your signature

Thanks Jarno for the link…

The article that you reference above on “Solving MIDI Timing Problems In Cubase” refers to testing Windows MIDI drivers. My install of Windows does not have these drivers installed, and I can’t seem to find them anywhere on the web. Any insight as to where I can find Windows 7 64-bit MIDI drivers?

So … which kind of MIDI drivers are you using? There must be some MIDI driver present, if you are recording any MIDI.

In case of M-Audio stuff my extreamly limited experience tells me: they work with standard Windows USB MIDI driver, but are far more reliable when you install the driver provided by M-audio and use it.

Okay thanks everyone, for anyone that is interested here is the answer!!!:

The article that Jarno linked to above “Solving MIDI Timing Problems In Cubase” (Solving MIDI Timing Problems), speaks of testing different MIDI drivers. Cubase by default selects the best midi drivers for you (so it thinks) and actually HIDES all other drivers available to you as they appear under Devices/Device Setup/MIDI Port Setup. To SHOW all drivers available to you, you must move this file C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 5\midi port enabler\ignoreportfilter …TO… this folder C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 5. Once you do this you can then see all the MIDI drivers available to you! This is fully discribed here: https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/midi-issues-on-windows/kb_back/2020.html?tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1[filter_1]=1

At this point you want to test all scenarios of MIDI input drivers and output drivers as discussed in “Solving MIDI Timing Problems In Cubase”… and also test whether or not ticking “System Timestamp for ‘DirectMusic’ Inputs” helps. For me the answer was to use DirectMusic “Emulated” MIDI drivers with “System Timestamp for ‘DirectMusic’ Inputs” ticked… this all takes place in this window… Devices/Device Setup/MIDI Port Setup. Your solution maybe different, but this is what is working on my Cubase 5 installed on Windows 7 64 bit.

PS - “Guest” above says… “Research Emulated MIDI Ports” - you were right! This is the more detailed answer, haha!

Good to hear you found the solution!