MIDI Device Manager : a patches list format inquiry

Hi,

Got a question about midi devices manager. When creating a new MIDI instrument with MIDI devices manager it is possible to create a patch list using program “change command”, for a specific hardware which is very helpful. However, is there a way to copy all the names of the patches from a txt or csv file into the editor? Or it has to be done manually one by one. It’s easy but time consuming.

MP.

2 Likes

Welcome ! :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, it’ easy to do a patches list for a given external hardware instrument, even if, as you said, it’s a time consuming task. In an ideal world, it would be great to be able to have a dump request feature in Cubase itself to do so (maybe it is possible via the Device Panels feature - admittedly, I never have tested this…).

Beside this, AFAIK, there is no way to import directly a patch list unless it has already been created and saved in .xml format by Cubase, but I could be wrong. It would also help to be able to do this with a raw .txt format file that would respect a documented structure.

This said, maybe there is a way, via a MIDI multi-instrument editor/librarian that is able to do a dump request to import all the patches of the involved hardware, then export them as a list in a Cubase compatible .xml format, I don’t know…

Hi, depending on your OS, you can browse through the scripts subfolder of your version of Cubase.
For example, if you’re on Windows, you can go to your %appdata% ->Roaming->Steinberg->Your Cubase Version->Scripts->Patchnames.
Here you’ll find the script documentation.txt which describes how to properly create a txt file that includes banks and patches.
At the same time, you’ll see some already defined which you can alter and save with a new name.
If you open one of these, in a spreadsheet app, and then have a separate file for your own patches, you can try to paste properly these patches names. Finally, you have to copy all the data to a new txt file, and then you can add a new midi device which is defined by this file.

Now, maybe there is a utility for this in this forum or elsewhere, to avoid the described operations, but I just don’t know.

1 Like

There used to be, it was called ScriptMaker and it was on the old FTP site, however I don’t know whether that’s accessible any more, and, even if it is, I don’t know whether ScriptMaker would even run on Windows 10.

1 Like

Cool!

Ah, we can always create a new one, in Java for example, I find the script documentation pretty straight forward. However, I don’t know how useful it would be, since most of the time MIDI users are advanced when it comes to manipulating config files :slight_smile:

OK, I found it. It’s Windows-only, and you can download it by copying the following into the address bar in Windows File Explorer (not the web browser):

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/PC_Stuff/Patchname_Script_Maker

So it will look like this:
… and just drag whichever folder you want to your PC.

2 Likes

It works under Win 10, no problem! However, I don’t see an option to import a batch of presets.

There isn’t. As far as I can see the entire functionality of ScriptMaker has been integrated into Cubase. Except creating a .txt file.

1 Like

Yes.

I had a closer look at the templates included, and they are tab separated text files.
This is good news because we can copy-paste one of these in a spreadsheet (be it Excel, openOffice Calc, not a difference), and then after deleting the empty rows, we can work with it and paste our patch names and banks/sub banks.

Here’s a screenshot with editing the xg names.txt

I’ve made some changes just for testing (device name and other header info, a bank, a sub bank and two presets) and then saved it as text (tab delimited) in Excel, at the scripts folder:

Entering Cubase->MIDI Devices, I successfully imported this script with the patches as shown here:

So, with a little work, an import of patch names will work :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi all,

thanks for the replies! Will definitely test all the methods. Should make life easier.

Thanks
MP

1 Like

Hmm looks like a better way of adding a midi instrument but does this instrument show up in the Inspector with patch names or as a generic showing bank number and patch number?
C

It shows as an instrument channel with all the features like inserts, sends etc. It also shows patch names in an custom organized way. In my case sorted by banks. But it may be sorted by a sound category for example.