Midi Device Panel

Hi,
I’ve updated to Cubase 13, I have a .XML device imported in Midi Devices but I can’t access it, in Cubase 12 it was accessible in the inspector at the top, I can see there is a Device panel in the C13 inspector list but my Device isn’t there so I’m obviously looking in the wrong place, if anyone can help that would be good.
Thanks
Andy

I can confirm that the functionality of MIDI device panels has been broken in Cubase Pro 13. The panels can no longer be opened from the Inspector.

The only way to get a device panel in the Inspector is by importing a track with that panel from a different project. If there are a few panels associated with the device, only the panel selected in the source project will be visible, leaving the rest inaccessible.

This needs an urgent fix.

Hi @tomboymedia and @Aivaras . To access Device Panels in Cubase 13, you need to activate the “Device Panel” section in the inspector using right-click in inspector. See screenshot below.

I can see the Device Panel section in the Inspector of Cubase 13, that is not the issue.

The issue is that Cubase 13 fails to read the XMLs of device panels that have been copied from \AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 12_64\Panels to \AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 13_64\Panels.

Here’s what I see in Cubase 12 when a track with an external device is inserted into a project:

Here’s what I see in Cubase 13 when I insert the same track type with the same device:

Cubase 13 fails to register or read the device XML in \AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 13_64\Panels (that has been copied from Cubase 12). As a consequence, the device panels are not available in the project.

Do you see the MIDI devices in the (Studio / More Options / ) MIDI Device Manager…?

Yes, I do. I also can open the device panels for editing via MIDI Device Manager > Open Device > Device Panels > Edit Panel.

So they have been imported correctly. Did you try to click on the cogwheel in the Device Panel section? It may show different content…

Yes, the same result, the panels are not available.

Could you try to set the MIDI track’s channel to “Any” and then try again? Thanks

Setting Channel Input to “Any” had no effect, nor did setting Group and Channel to the same value.

The Program Selector is working fine though.

To be precise, the MIDI device is assigned to an instrument track.

Ok, thank you for pointing this out. I can now reproduce the problem here on Instrument tracks. Seems to be a bug. Sorry. I created a bug report (for internal reference: CAN-51082). I hope we can fix it soon, but it’s too late for the upcoming maintenance release which will be available very soon. Thank you!

2 Likes

Yes, Indeed. I just tried inserting a MIDI track with the Output Routing set to the MIDI device in question and no instrument track present, and the panels were made available.

However, if I insert a MIDI track after an instrument track has been inserted and assign it to the MIDI device of the aforementioned instrument track, the MIDI device panels no longer work.

Thank you for your efforts to fix this!

1 Like

Good spot. FWIW, I don’t use Device Panels with Instrument Tracks, only with external MIDI hardware, and they are working still for me in Cubase 13.

1 Like

@JRoeper,

Upon spending more time with my MIDI devices in C13, I also noticed that the Program Selector in the Inspector isn’t working properly. For instance, 1) I cannot scroll through the presets by hovering the mouse over the Selector field and turning the mouse wheel; 2) if I then open the program list, I can neither select a program by clicking on it nor use the up and down arrow keys to scroll through the list.

This needs a fix and may be related to the bug we have already identified.

Hi @Aivaras . Sorry for the late reply.
The previous issue (CAN-51082) will be fixed in the upcoming maintenance release 13.0.30.

I cannot scroll through the presets by hovering the mouse over the Selector field and turning the mouse wheel

Confirmed. I’ve created a Bug-Entry (for internal reference: CAN-52267). It’s unclear if we will be able to fix it before the release of the next maintenance release.

if I then open the program list, I can neither select a program by clicking on it nor use the up and down arrow keys to scroll through the list

I’ve had a look in Cubase 13.0.20. I’ve been able to select programs, but I noticed some strange behavior within the program list, which occurred also when trying to use up & down arrow keys (which made it unuseable). However, this misbehavior wasn’t reproducible in the current development version of 13.0.30. Therefore I assume, that the problem will be fixed, as soon as 13.0.30 will be published.
Thanks!

3 Likes