Midi: DrumRythm Composser Roland R8

If someone could walk me through how you would setup this old Roland R8 Rhythm Composer, prior to upgrading to Cubase Pro 12, R8 to work with Groove Agent . I could start recording with Cubase and it would record whatever I had playing on my R8. My setup : Midi out of R8, Midi in, via the Behringer UMC204HD audio interface Midi IN port. USB out of Behringer interface to my Macbook Pro, DAW Cubase Pro 12 - Groove agent. That worked great for sometime but now that’s not working. It does for a short time but then it all just stops including no sound coming from Groove Agent if I play around with GA drum pads. The R8 has a feature that puts it into Midi mode which I don’t normally do because when I do that the R8 doesn’t play songs when I hit play. I can get my old keyboard to work with Keyboard midi out, IN through the Behringer midi port and USB to the Macbook. So obviously I’m missing something.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I asked ChatGPT (OpenAI3.5) to rephrase the text you wrote. Would you please tell me if it describes the same problem you described?

The rephrased text:

Could someone kindly assist me in setting up my beloved Roland R8 Rhythm Composer with Groove Agent before I upgrade to Cubase Pro 12? Previously, I had a seamless recording experience with Cubase, capturing the beautiful sounds produced by my R8. Here’s my current setup: I connect the MIDI output of the R8 to the MIDI input of the Behringer UMC204HD audio interface, which is then connected to my MacBook Pro via USB. In Cubase Pro 12, I rely on Groove Agent for my drumming needs.

This setup worked flawlessly for a while, but now I’m facing issues. After a short period of functioning correctly, everything suddenly stops working, including the absence of any sound from Groove Agent when I interact with its drum pads. I’ve noticed that the R8 has a MIDI mode, which I rarely activate because doing so prevents the R8 from playing songs when I hit the play button.

Interestingly, I’ve managed to get my old keyboard to work by connecting its MIDI output to the Behringer MIDI port, which is then connected to my MacBook via USB. It’s clear that I’m missing something here, and any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Alin89c

Thank you for your response.

That’s correct.

Regards Glenn

“This seems to be a Cubase configuration problem. Do you by any chance use the Generic Remote in Cubase?” No I don’t.

Understood.

I asked OpenAi3.5 (ChatGPT) to find a solution to your problem. Here’s what the response was:

Based on the information provided, there could be a few potential solutions to the issue described in the text. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check MIDI connections: Ensure that all MIDI connections are secure and properly connected. Double-check the MIDI cables from the Roland R8 to the Behringer UMC204HD audio interface and from the Behringer interface to the Macbook Pro. Sometimes, loose connections can cause intermittent issues.
  2. MIDI settings in Cubase: Verify the MIDI settings within Cubase Pro 12. Make sure that the MIDI input and output ports are correctly assigned. You can access the MIDI settings in Cubase by going to the Preferences or Options menu and locating the MIDI section. Confirm that the Behringer UMC204HD is selected as the MIDI input device.
  3. Power cycle the equipment: Try power cycling all the devices involved in the setup. Turn off the Roland R8, Behringer UMC204HD, and the Macbook Pro. Wait for a few seconds, then power them back on in the following order: Roland R8, Behringer UMC204HD, and finally the Macbook Pro. This can help reset any temporary glitches in the system.
  4. Update drivers and firmware: Ensure that you have the latest drivers and firmware for both the Behringer UMC204HD audio interface and the Roland R8 Rhythm Composer. Check the manufacturer’s website for any available updates and follow their instructions to install them correctly.
  5. Test with a different MIDI device: If possible, try connecting a different MIDI device (such as a keyboard) to the Behringer UMC204HD and see if it functions properly with Cubase Pro 12 and Groove Agent. This test will help determine if the issue is specific to the Roland R8 or if there is a broader problem with the MIDI setup.
  6. Consult user manuals and forums: Review the user manuals for both the Roland R8 and Behringer UMC204HD for any specific MIDI configuration requirements or troubleshooting tips. Additionally, visit online forums or communities dedicated to Cubase, Roland R8, or Behringer UMC204HD, as fellow users may have encountered similar issues and can provide valuable insights or solutions.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, it may be helpful to reach out to the Cubase support team or the support teams for Roland and Behringer for further assistance. They will have specialized knowledge and experience in troubleshooting these specific products and can provide more targeted guidance.

Full OpenAI conversation here.

Thanks again Alin you’ve given me plenty of information to work with. After reading your bullet notes 1. - 6. I think I know what the issue might be. Originally the R8 worked fine, eg" R8 Midi Out. Behringer Audio Interface Midi In, USB from Behringer to MacBook Pro . I could then use any of the Cubase / Groove agent Kits and easily create what I was after. I could even assign the pads on the R8 to play eg: Piano or a bass line ect. I think my issue is apple upgraded my Macbook and that’s when everything started to go wrong.