Midi explication

Hi

Due to the situation I have a lot of time to learn a lot about Dorico and all his possibilities.
I have some questions about Midi
Where can I find good explications about CC (Control change Action) and PC (Program Change action)
I know nothing about that.

Another question: In expressio Maps there are 2 possibilities
1: Absolute Chanel change
2: Relativ chanel change

What is the difference ?

Many thank’s for helping me

Patrick

Some VST’s set their (say) mute sound one MIDI channel lower than their standard sound for all strung instruments.
Using a relative change of -1 would therefore allow the same expression map setting to be used (in this hypothetical example) for all that VST’s string players.

Absolute channel change is just that; it always changes to the same MIDI channel regardless of the former setting.

There’s lots that you could read about MIDI messages, control changes and program changes, but lots of it may not be relevant or required to work with Dorico.

I’d ask the more fundamental question: what would you like to be able do? Do you have some VST plugins you would like to use? Do you want to create more life-like playback?

Thank’s

But very difficult to understand . . .

First of all I want to understand as much as possible about Midi and Dorico.

Before Dorico I used Finale for writing small exercises for my students.
All my arrangements I have made all style on “paper”
And for writing it properly I used Score for about 25 years. An old Dos Program.

Since a year I use Dorico and I’m very "possesif2 to learn all about it. And now due to the situation, I have a lot of time for writing music and learning more about Midi and Dorico.

I use East West symphonic orchestra Gold. But the way they use the sounds are not sou logical for me.
So keyswitch only is sometimes not enought and I have to load more different sounds.

But for example to change the chanel to have a special sound I have to trie out an often I find not out how to do.
So that’s why I trie to understand most of the possibilities of Dorico

Ok, that makes it easier to answer your question. I would suggest a good starting point is to watch some of the videos that show you how to use other plugins in Dorico and create Expression Maps and Playback Templates:

It is quite difficult to get started with a complex library such as EastWest until you have an idea of how Dorico works with the built-in HSO library. So try using the default HSSE+HSO Pro Playback Template and look at the HALion plugin window and the Dorico Expression Map Editor, and hopefully you should see how keyswitches are triggered.

Many Thank’s to all

Videos are great and helped me a lot

I cann even switch from chanel 1 to chanel 2
Hollywood Strings.
So keyswitch violins are on Chanel 1 & pizzicato on channel 2
Switching to chanel 2 works fine but to “return” to chanel 1 (arco) ? How can I do this ?

Patrick

Add the ‘Natural’ technique with absolute channel switch = 1. ‘Natural’ means the default sound for that instrument, so it means ‘arco’ for strings.

That don’t work

I can switch to pizzicato on chanel 2 but not back with “natural”

Sorry it works now

many thank’s

Hi

What’s happen
No expression maps that I have created works at all.
I tried out with several different instruments and VST’s But no results ?
What can this be ?

Somethiung strange

Example: when I put in the midi number for a keyswitch, I have to put in an octave higher ?
Then the expression map works correct

Some people call middle C (midi note 60) C4, and others call it C3. Check which convention the documentation for your software library uses.

Yes I know but a few hours before it was not like this