Midi fighter twister feedback

Hallelujah… it is working now! :slight_smile: Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

I turned of the “pick up” in generic remote, had to restart Cubase and now all good. DMG Equilibrium is very responsive, MFT level indicator LEDs are responsive to Equilibrium’s settings when I select a new channel in Cubase. I had to change MFT encoders to 'Dot" mode as the other options weren’t reflective.

The only quirk is the on/off toggle switch LEDs don’t always work ( I have them set to bypass the bands on Equilibrium), when I change to a new track channel.

I have the MFT encoders set to MIDI channel 11 and not having any conflicts so far.

Excellent. Glad you got it working. :slight_smile: Interesting about midi channel 11. I’ll try that

Hi all.

Since some months I’m “fighting” using midifighter as generic Controller of Cubase Pro 9.

I had an detailed email exchange with midifighter support and also with Steinberg Support. No side could (wants seriously) to help: I cant believe that djtechtools can’t afford any light cubase licencse in order to reproduce the incompatible behaviours (maybe Steinberg could give them one for free?). On the other side I offered Steinberg Support to lend my personal midifighter, so they could check out the issues - they didn’t accept that.

So last try here at the Forum:

There are three different error types (Error 1: Driver - Win7 Startup - midifighter not recognized; Error 2: Led colours and CC when using higher midifighter Banks (2,3,4) get confused; Error 3: most bothering me the not fully synced Switch-LED behaviour.
To avoid confusion, for now I will only talk about Error 3:

Error 3:
A very basic Midifigher Problem is the behavior with a CC-Toggle Switch:
E.g. mapping a Cubase mute button to Bank1/Switch0 of midifighter and configuring that as “CC-Toggle” has one Problem: When the button is already switched to “ON” on cubase side, and you try to Switch the button then “OFF” at midifighter side, then the Status LED of the midifighter is not correct anymore (still keeps light “ON”).
All other sequences are working ok, like switching on/off only at midifighter or swiching on/off only on cubase (is tracked correctly by the midifighter LED Status) or even switching on at midifighter and then switching off with cubase.
So, the statemachine inside midifighter seems to be Buggy!

Other devices like my PreSonus Faderport handle that Switch/Led Synchronisation between Cubase and external Hardware perfectly, so why should’t midifighter get that right?

Comments please! :neutral_face:

Hi,

I’m sorry, but all errors you described don’t look like an errors on Cubase side. All of them seem to be on the HW side. What would you expect from Steinberg here?

The first point about win 7 and the driver not being recognised is known by DJ tech tools and they are working on a fix apparently.

I’ve got some toggle switches set up but not with the lighting. I’ll check that behaviour.

Hi Mozart.

I appreciate your Support. You seem to be one of the few users who actually combine both sides “Cubase+Midifighter” and go through real tests. This is what I would expect from Steinberg and especially from the vendor DJTechtools!

So, for the toggle swith test, let me add some further Infos:
Error3-Info1: Try the following scenario: A Switch on Cubase side is “ON” (e.g. a Cubase Channel Mute button or a Plugin like Waves SSL-E-Console Plugin Buttons). You select that channel and midifighters assigned pushbutton led shows correctly “ON” state. Now you push that button: the cubase side button Switches to “OFF” state, but the midifighter LED state is still “ON” which is an error! Now you change the selection of the mixer-channel in cubase once back and forth: The midifighter status will get updated and now the pushbutton LED is also “OFF” which is correct.

Due to the fact that the update on channel selection seems to work, I agree with Martin.Jirsak that the error seems to be on midifighter side. But as said, please Combine HW+SW to test!

Any help welcome!

Cheers,
Markus

Just out of interest, how are you triggering the light states from Cubase?

On cubase side: I Trigger the light state by a mouse-click on the related button (be it the mute button or another plugin button with software-light-indicator on it’s GUI)

On the midifigher side: “Switch Action type = Toggle button”

Error3: Who want’s to give it a try: Attached you’ll find a midifighter configuiration file (.mfs) plus the corresponding cubase generic Controller config file (.XML).
Importing those files to midifighter and cubase will enable a Waves “SSL-E Channel” Plugin (insert Slot 3 in mixer) to be remote-controlled from bank1 of midifighter. All EQ functions, the most important compressor functions and some toggle Buttons (e.g. to Switch EQs between bell/shelf) are mapped. The CC Encoders work perfect, but the toggle Buttons have the described Problem (refer Error3 in my posts).
By the way: I tested all combinations of cubase flags and button types of midifighter without getting rid of the error.

(Error2: Now gone so far, If anybody wanted to find out more about Error2 of my Posts, then just create similar midifighter Settings at higher Banks like bank2,3,4: you’ll find out, that there the Controllers and light indicator colours seem to get mad on certain Buttons, so currently a reliably mapping is only possible with cubase when using midifighter bank1. And yes, after correspondence with matias from djtechtools, I tried different suggested midi-channels, Controller numbers which should be free regarding to implementation Chart, and so on… still same Problem.)
markus_generischer-controller_midifighter_Insert3-SSLE.rar (650 Bytes)
2017-07-01_markus_SSLE-in-Bank1.rar (575 Bytes)

Sounds like you’ve tried everything! Not sure there’s much more i can offer at the moment.

I’m away working but will have a look when I’m back…

Any updates? I am thinking of buying this controller to use with Cubase 9 on OSX

I think the situation is still the same/ It’s a great controller but needs some software and hardware updates…

Yes still same Problem Situation. Having done all those tests until september 2017, I still didn’t receive any updates from midifighter or Steinberg. Today I ordered the softube console one mkII and I plan to sell my midifighter twister on ebay to end that Story! If you are interested…

Having said that don’t write it off completely. I use it every day and wouldn’t be without it now…

What are the biggest problems so far?

Hi.
As posted in Detail, the midifighter twister has still Problems when using it with cubase (now at version 9.5.10):

• Pushbuttons not correct synchronized with DAW
  • Can only use bank1 reliably. On Bank2,3,4 the leds/colours get mad.

As mentioned I will sell my midifighter, the auction started yesterday night on ebay.

As a goodbye present, please find attached the config files which Support the following two plugins:
Sonnox Oxford EQ
Waves SSL E Channel Strip

Especially the Sonnox EQs shelf modes were very tricky to program, but it is possible (having two funktions and saves states behind one Encoder knob).
It’s really a pity that dj techtools didn’t move and fix the bugs.

Goodbye
Markus
Midi-Fighter-Twister_and_Cubase_ConfigFiles.rar (1.56 KB)

I think I have managed to solve “Error 3”, the issue with the toggle switch synchronisation today. In the generic remote editor, for each switch, add two entries in the editor instead of one; the first set to receive, the second set to transmit. Copy all other settings. You end up with two entries for each switch. This seems to have fixed the problems for me - the LED state now seems to be kept fully in sync. Phew!

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try that. I’m a little disappointed that there seems to be no plans for an update to either firmware or software…

Does anybody have an update on this?

Im using CB11 and want to pick up the Midi Fighter Twister to control the EQ of Cubase, and other stuff…

I found an old Novation Nocturn somewhere, my kid was jumping on it and it still effing works!
Its actually quite nice to map the rotators to the selected EQ…just not enough knobs.