MIDI Guitar/ HalionSonic SE/ Bender Rate question

Aloha,

I use MIDI guitar as my main controller and one of the things that helps
with MIDI guitar tracking is to use ‘MIDI Mono’ mode.

In this mode each string fires on a different MIDI channel.

This means each string can use its own bender rate.

Unlike most keyboards,soft synths etc (whose bender rate is usually plus or minus 2)
MIDI guitarist usually use much higher rates.
Typically 8 or 10 or 12 (I use 12) (tanx Warren Sirota)

HalionOne’s bender rate could not be changed and I am wondering
if the bender rate of HalionSonic SE can be changed. and if so, by how much?

Major TIA
{‘-’}

I’ll try one bump.

Aloha.
{‘-’}

I’m still in the process of investigating such things, but you’ll be happy to see this:

… and absolutely thrilled to see this:

Aloha Mr Soundman and Mahalo!

Your post makes my day.

Thanks again.
{‘-’}

Hi I also use Midi guitar alot to capture my ideas.

I was not aware of this trick you mention

Unlike most keyboards,soft synths etc (whose bender rate is usually plus or minus 2)
MIDI guitarist usually use much higher rates.
Typically 8 or 10 or 12 (I use 12) (tanx Warren Sirota)

I think this might be why I have to do a lot of editing on my parts after I record them.

I am guessing that you do this to make the receiving midi instrument less sensitive to pitch bend data?

Do you set this up at the soft synth end of things, the MIDI guitar interface ( I use a GR 33 with godin guitars) or both.

Where is “‘MIDI Mono’ mode.” plugin, cubase or GR 33?

If I send MIDI data on 1 channel / string does that mean that 1 instrument part will be spread over 6 MIDI tracks in the sequencer?

My soft synths of choice are Reason devices via rewire.

Any elaboration/ further explanation/ general MIDI guitar tips is most welcome.

It kind of is sensitivity, but the most important thing is that your interface and the plugin are in sync and have the same bend ranges. You’re setting the maximum range that a bend can be interpretted as. I also usually use a value of 12.

I am guessing that you do this to make the receiving midi instrument less sensitive to pitch bend data?

Do you set this up at the soft synth end of things, the MIDI guitar interface ( I use a GR 33 with godin guitars) or both.

Where is “‘MIDI Mono’ mode.” plugin, cubase or GR 33?

that’ll be on your GR-33 - in mono mode all 6 strings are sent on one midi channel. Poly mode sends them out on six separate channels…

If I send MIDI data on 1 channel / string does that mean that 1 instrument part will be spread over 6 MIDI tracks in the sequencer?

You could do that if you want - using the GR-33’s Poly mode - but you’d be setting up the midi tracks and their midi channel inputs manually. Of course, you could also line up a midi omni channel to the output of Halion Sonic SE in the instrument rack, and put one instrument/channel/string that way…

If you play around with it a little more you’ll get the hang of it - especially the pitch bend!

Aloha guys,

Actually Dave
While it does not sound logical, it is just the opposite.

Poly Mode (sent from the controller) will send MIDI messages on ONE MIDI channel but will play all six strings on that channel; however only one string at a time will ‘bend’. This is the mode at which a typical keyboard is set.

‘Mono Mode’ will send MIDI messages on six different (but contiguous only)
MIDI channels at a timeand will send separate bender messages on each channel.

example: if string one is on MIDI channel 15, then the other
MIDI channel string assignments will be:16-1-2-3-4
And yes the receiving sound module [hard or soft] must be able to handle the info.

I do this live on stage every week where I use a Roland GR33 (controller)
MidI’ed into a Roland SC-880 and a Korg M3R and an Alesis QSR. (sound modules)

While the info sent from the guitar ‘digital’ pick-up to the GR33 is not MIDI,
(it is Roland’s own proprietary language which is actually faster than MIDI)
the info sent from the controller, is sent via MIDI MONO mode to all three sound modules.

It works and tracks well for live work and in the studio all I do is
stick Cubase in between the controller and the sound modules and hit record. (no latency)

At that point stuff gets recorded and can be played back either thru soft synths (HAO/GAO/NI/SampleTank etc) or the external gear.

But there are times (when I am doing work for a client) I like to play right into my softsynths the way a keyboardist does.
(latency probs and all)

Till now in order to do that I would have to use SampleTank or NI stuff because I could not adjust the bend rate in HAO.

I could use HAO for some drums work using Poly Mode but that was about it.

I am looking forward to ‘playing into’ HASE with the bender rate set the way that is comfortable to me.
YMMV.

BTW here is a kool lil MIDI guitar trick.
Using Mono Mode, playing a nylon string guitar patch in Cubase with six different sound modules each routed to
one speaker in a 5.1 sound system.
If you sit in the middle of all the speakers and play, the perspective is like you are right in the sound hole. Kool sound.

Try that keyboardist! :slight_smile:

HTH
{‘-’}

Not to hi-jack my own thread but I am wondering now if HASE will respond to breath controller messages from my wind synth?
{‘-’}

DOH! - thanks for the correction curteye - sorry for the slydexia moment - I actually haven’t played my GI-20 or GR-1 in a while - waiting for the GR-50 to ship!

Cheers!

Dave

Funny you should say that.
I was just on-line last night checking out the GR-55.

Looks awesome.

When you get the 50, please let us know about it.
{‘-’}

LOL - I did it AGAIN - I meant GR-55 of course :wink:

thanks for this very informative post - I have been dabbling in Midi guitar for a few years and just starting to get the hang of it. I find that there are just so many variables.

I think I will have to print and re=read this post a few times to get it. If anybody feels like making a quick youtube tutorial on this topic that would be most appreciated.

I just watched the gr 55 demos on youtube and it looks great - I have been wondering when that technology would leap for forward.