MIDI Import from Cubase

I exported a Project with Midi Export in Cubase which ended up having a “.midi” File. Now I want to open this file in Dorico but to do so I first have to rename it from “.midi” to “.mid” in order to be able to choose this file for opening.

Would it be possible to implement the function to open also “.midi” files without having this work around?

Best,
Victor

Another Midi related question. If I import a piano midi file I see all the notes just on one stave, also if I change the instrument to Piano. How can I import the midi file into a 2 stave piano system? Do I have to split them up afterwards? Maybe I do something wrong when exporting it?
Thanks in advance!

We should be able to add .midi as a valid file extension for MIDI files without too much bother, Victor.

I’m afraid I’m not sure what you can reasonably do to try to get Dorico to more intelligently choose a piano instrument when you open a MIDI file. Possibly making sure that it uses the name “Piano” in the track from which it comes in Cubase, and also perhaps making sure it uses a program change of 0.

Great to hear that you willl be able to add the .midi file extensions.

I will try to optimise the midi file in Cubase before exporting and importing it to Dorico. Hopefully it has some effect.

Question to other forum users: is ‘.midi’ a common file suffix for MIDI files? Or the default for a specific application? In my many years of working with it I have never come across a single instance of it.

Out of curiosity could you explain how you could get a file with the suffix “.midi” exporting from Cubase?
When I export a Midi file, Cubase will add the suffix “.mid” per default.
Of course it is always possible to manually write “.midi” but it is not the default behaviour of Cubase

I also can’t remember to have ever seen “.midi” as suffix.
I thinks it has always been “.mid”

+1

never seen “.midi” as file extension

Bob

Cubase Pro 8.5 automatically shows a default of .midi when exporting a midi file. It doesn’t seem to mind if you edit this to .mid before saving. You can set up a piano in Dorico and try to import a midi file into there, but so far I’ve only managed to get it to show time signatures (and changes thereof), not actual notes.

Saving from the score editor in Cubase as an .xml file and then importing into Dorico as .xml will bring your piano music into Dorico intact, with correct staves (as long as there aren’t more than two!)

Wouldn’t music XML be a better choice than MIDI?

Actually I didn’t change anything in Cubase so it has to be a default setting to have a “.midi” File when exporting midi with Cubase pro 8.5. I searched for it in the Cubase manual to change the suffix but haven’t found anything yet.

Looks like a Mac only thing.

Yeah; 3-letter file name extensions are from DOS. Mac never had that limitation.

Windows hasn’t had that limitation for many years (20+ ?). I was just taken surprise that ‘.midi’ was a genuine extension because in the 15 years of writing MIDI file importers and playback code, I have never encountered it, nor encountered a request for it! It seems that Cubase does default to this on mac, so maybe there’s a memo that I didn’t get :slight_smile:

Importing MIDI to Dorico is not quite what I expected…for importing MIDI to further work I propose working with Notation Composer. It is best software for Transcribing and editing MIDI to notation (I know ScoreCloud and other software). Now with Music XML version 3 Export. In Dorico it is beautiful…:slight_smile: