MIDI import problem

HI, Everyone
I’m Trying to import midi track of my flute part where I have many triplet notes. when I open midi in Dorico, it shows me totally incorrect notes, triplets are converted in quintuplets and there’s nothing I can do with this unfortunately.
Can you help me with the advice how can I handle this problem?
Thank you very much for your help :heart:

Welcome to the forum, Mikheil. Have you adjusted the quantization options in the MIDI Import Options dialog to tell Dorico what kind of triplets you are expecting it to find? Have you quantized the MIDI data prior to exporting it from whatever application you created it in?

Thank You, My DAW is Cubase 12 and as far as I need precise notation for scoring my music I’m adjusting every note myself in midi editor, but I didn’t adjust tuplet options in Dorico. So I will try to do so if it helps :slight_smile:

solo flute dorico.pdf (114.5 KB)
solo flute cubase.pdf (86.1 KB)
These are scores in Dorico and Cubase

If you’re happy with the results you’re seeing in Cubase’s score editor, I would recommend exporting MusicXML from Cubase and using that to bring your music into Dorico, as that will preserve the displayed note and rest values without Dorico needing to perform any interpretation of MIDI data at all.

Daniel, I’ve been trying to figure this workflow out for a bit and can’t get it right. I was going to start another topic, but this is exactly the same issue, I think.

I typically start in Cubase, play freely, adjust bar lines and time signatures to fit the performance, then use the Cubase Score Editor display settings to get to a decent looking part pretty quickly. See attached cubase.png. The Cubase rendition isn’t perfect, but it’s readable and a good start and is very quick and easy to make.

If I then export as MusicXML and import to Dorico, it’s a mess again. See dorico.png. What am I missing? How do I not go backwards when going from Cubase to Dorico? Would I better off starting in Dorico? I haven’t explored whether you can drag bar lines around like you can in Cubase. That would be the key, I think.


– Jason

What did you expect Dorico to do? If you wanted all those tied eighth-notes, you could just have kept the CB Score file.

You could examine your MusicXML import preferences in Edit > Preferences to see if you wish Dorico to handle your import differently.

Based on Daniel’s explanation of how MusicXML export/import works, I expected the Dorico rendition to look exactly the same as the Cubase rendition. The Cubase Score Editor renders that E as a half note, not as four tied eighths, so I expected Dorico to render it as a half note. To be perfectly clear, the top image in the post is Dorico. The bottom is Cubase.

And I definitely don’t want to use the Cubase Score Editor to do additional work on the file. I want to do the engraving in Dorico.

I did try your suggestion of adjusting the MusicXML import preferences, but was not able to get any different results.

This is just one example of how I think I’m misunderstanding the Cubase->Dorico export/import workflow. I’m trying to understand what I should be doing to get from Cubase to engraved part in Dorico as quickly as possible.

And perhaps I’m misunderstanding Daniel’s explanation of how Dorico treats the MusicXML. It did preserve the note and rest values, but it missed the split point at C3. I don’t see that there is a way to adjust that in the MusicXML import preferences.

Did you export as MIDI0 or MIDI1 format?

Yes, Jason, my expectation is that you should find the MusicXML exported from Cubase matches the notation you see in the Score Editor. Would you be able to share your Cubase project with me, and the MusicXML file you exported? If they’re too big to attach here, you could use a service like WeTransfer to send them to me at my email (d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de).

Did you set up Polyphonic Voicing in Cubase before you exported to MusicXML? Certainly historically this was a necessity.

(See Setting up Polyphonic Voices)

1 Like

Leo, thank you for that tip. I had the staff mode set to Split. When I changed it to Polyphonic and re-exported the MusicXML, the render in Dorico matched the render in the Cubase score editor exactly. That was the magic.

Daniel, I have attached the .cpr file and original MusicXML export for you. This was before changing the staff mode from Split to Polyphonic. It’s the one that didn’t render correctly in Dorico.

It would be great, somehow, if it wasn’t so difficult to figure out how to do simple things like this. I have watched Dorico YouTube videos, looked at help files and googled to no avail. I’m thankful that this forum exists to serve as a repository for this kind of tribal knowledge.

I’m going to start a new topic to see if it’s possible to skip Cubase altogether for this kind of workflow.


– Jason

Archive.zip (45.3 KB)

Thanks for sending the files, but Leo has cracked the case. I too had forgotten the step that you need to enable polyphonic staff mode in Cubase for this information to be preserved. Certainly we plan to smooth the transfer of data from Cubase to Dorico in future, so that is something to look forward to.