Midi Latency ur824

Hi!

Happy New Year everyone! Just bought an UR824 interface. Thought that it would be good to have a nice integrated system. Everything works, BUT… now there is a annoying midi latency. Never had that problem with my cheap Behringer umc 404hd. I tried “everything” Latest everything, firmware, usb driver 2.0.4 I have an Nektar Impact GX61 usb keyboard, also never had any problems with it. I’v tried to find answers everywhere, but can’t find any. Sent an support request, no answer yet. This makes me even more crazy then 2020 did. Hope someone has an answer.
:slightly_smiling_face:

hi Chickdees

what do you mean by ‘midi latency’ ?

Do you mean that when you trigger over midi there is a delay before you hear the sound ?
Do you mean that recorded midi is delayed ?

What software are you using that shows the ‘latency’
Mac or PC ?
What audio buffer size in the UR824 settings ?
If cubase on windows are you using windows or direct music midi drivers ?

Hi Doc!
Thank you for answering. There is a slight midi latency (much irritating) that makes recording with good timing impossible. I’v tried to change different buffering, with no result. (My pc: i9, 32gb ram SSD HD, Windows 10 and Cubase Pro 11, and so it shouldn’t be the problem) I didn’t have the problem before. I tried to uninstall the midi keyboard (Nektar impact) and reinstall the drivers. There is no problem when recording audio, just Midi. I can’t for the life of me find out why. Is it something with windows and ur824? Is there some adjustments in Cubase midi settings?

hi Chickdees

you didn’t answer the questions :slight_smile:

what do you mean by midi latency ?
Do you mean that when you trigger over midi there is a delay before you hear the sound ?
Do you mean that recorded midi is delayed ?
What audio buffer size in the UR824 settings ?
In cubase are you using windows or direct music midi drivers ?

Hi!

Sorry about that. PC. Yes there is a slight, but noticeable latency when I play, not what I can hear when playback. I’v tried many different buffer size, right now 128. Use to work fine. I’m not sure what you mean with software showing latency. Some recommended midi ox, but that doesn’t work. And I’m not sure what to look for. With my old soundcard, I never had any problems with midi latency, no matter buffer size. I will keep on trying to find the solution to this problem. Let me know if you have an idea.
Regards

128 buffer size at 44.1khz is around 3ms…which ‘should’ be just about noticeable IMO
what happens if you bring that down to 64 - does that improve the problem ?

Do you have any plugins on that channel or on the master channel ? some of them can have quite high latency

No, even with a new project, there is latency. This is very irritating. Well, have to wait for some answers from Steinberg. 15 days now, not a sign from them :thinking: Anyway, thanks for you effort, much appreciated.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news ! - steinberg support won’t answer your issue I don’t think. You need to work out what the problem is…

Is the latency related to buffer size - does it decrease when you bring the buffer size to 64 ?
do you have ANY insert FX …including in the CONTROL ROOM (nothing to do with a new project)

I too use a 824, and while I don´t use midi much, isn´t there a dedicated lolw latency setting for instruments in cubase? There is one on the daw I am on, where you set dropout protection to high or something, buffer size to 64 and the rest takes care of itself.

Hi! Thanks for your answer. Will try to check that out. I did a “reset” of the usb ports and a new clean install of drivers, midi keyboard and I seems like It somewhat helped. There is much that I like with the ur 824 so lets hope things “settles” down.

Hi!
Yes, I understand that :thinking: But this forum seems to be a great place. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Hi! Just wanted to give an update on my problem. It seemed that there was a conflict between my old soundcard driver and Steinbergs. Tried everything, but in the end I reinstalled windows totaly. Now after lots of sofware suffering and installing, now It works just fine.

1 Like