Midi mixer in manual

Can anyone tell me, what is “a midi mixer”?
And what is a “vst mixer” , which has the exactly the same explanation as “mixer” in the generic remote part of the users manual (below):

Midi Mixer

Allows you to control the functions of the Midi Mixer panel. If you select Device in the Channel/Category column, and one of the options in the Value/Action column, you can control that function using your MIDI
device.

Mixer

Allows you to control MixConsole functions. If you select one of the available channels or Selected in the Channel/Category column, and one of the options in the Value/Action column, you can control that function of that specific channel or of the selected channel using your MIDI device.

VST Mixer

Allows you to control MixConsole functions. If you select one of the available channels or Selected in the Channel/Category column, and one of the options in the Value/Action column, you can control that function of that specific channel or of the selected channel using your MIDI device.

Thanks.

I see this topic has been discussed in a previous thread. I didn’t realize.

Yeah. I still don’t get it. People keep talking about these three mixers: mixer, VST mixers, and midi mixer. What is this? How do I access it? Is it referring to something in cubase? Hardware? Is it a way to view exclusively midi tracks in the mix console? Where can I find an explanation?

OK, I’m trying to figure this out.

On the lower panel of the midi remote window,
If I select my device as" midi mixer", my options for channel/ category are :
Device, selected, motif (that’s my one midi keyboard)

If I select" VST mixer" then my options are:
Device, selected, stereo out, my various tracks for this project, motif audio, motif in 1 and 2, Mic 1, Mic 2, motif 3 and 4.

So, "midi mixer "it’s just midi stuff I guess. The VST mixer has input channels , Output channels and track channels. Same with plain old mixer.

Fair enough. But I don’t see why I would need a separate category of control just for midi instruments. And is there an actual mixer somewhere that just selects midi channels?

Another thing,
The channel/ category choices appear to be specifically for the project at hand, as opposed to the general assignment of controls that could be set once and then used for all projects. That’s what I thought it would be. Like, from now on whenever you call up EQ, this knob will Control the low frequency gain, or something like that. Maybe generic remote is intended to be used in a way different from what I imagined.

On the other hand, Remote control, seems more user-friendly.
Got a lot of learning to do.

Hi,

The MIDI Mixer shows just MIDI Tracks. VST Mixer shows Audio Channels and Buses. Mixer shows all.

The Generic Remote Device is not really linked with the Track/Channel, but more with the Channel Slot. So if you change the order of the Tracks/Channels, you control the same Channel Slot, but not the same Channel.

Thanks for the explanation.
So do the mixer types, Mentioned above, only pertain to the midi control settings, or do they come up as options or parameters in other parts of cubase?

Hi,

The Mixer Types are available in the Generic Remote Device, for example. I’m not aware of any other appearance of the different Mixer Types in Cubase.

Thanks.