Midi note length

Hi guys,

I assume that this is a dummy question but…
Why can’t I reduce the size of the note (black one) with the cursor (see picture)? I can only enlarge the note with the same size.
I found that I can reduce the note length by reducing the Scale Legato value in the left menu but it would be faster and easier to do it with the cursor?

Thanks for the help

If you have Scale Legato set to 100 you are saying that you want the note length to extend all the way to the start of the next note. Set it to 0 (and generally leave it there) and then you can drag the end of the note to whatever length you want.

Also I see you’ve got the quantize value set to 1/128. That means if you click with the Pencil Tool you’ll end up with a super short 1/128th note - probably not what you want. I’m guessing you set it that way to allow you to make small adjustments. The better way to do that is to set the quantize to some musically useful length (e.g… 1/4 note, 1/8th etc.) and then turn off Snap if you want to adjust stuff so it isn’t aligned with the grid.

I’ve used Cubase for ages and never once needed to use the Length Tab. I believe its primary use is for when MIDI is entered by playing the part on a keyboard and then cleaning up the length and/or legato. If you are hand entering notes they will always line up with the grid as long as Snap is on.

You might benefit from reading the manual sections on entering & editing midi data to get a better conceptual handle on what’s going on. :wink:

I’ve set the quantize value to 1/128 indeed because I thought I could draw a shorter note but it doesn’t worked.
When I draw a note, let’s say at the begining at bar 1 with Q at 1/128, the note length goes to bar 1.2 immediatly, why is this the minimum note length I got? same with the cursor, why can’t I reduce the note (like Re4 in black) by the half of its length (like note La#3 below which I had to cut manually of its half).
I am confused, reducing or enlarging a midi note with the cursor is something I can do with any other DAW so whats the trick here??

I believe your problem is you don’t have the Length Quantize feature selected from your key editor tool bar.

Right click and go to set up. Make sure Length Quantize is visible and not hidden.

Set it to your desired value, and then when you insert a note, either by double clicking in the key editor or draw tool, the length will go to your desired value.

Also,this may be going overboard, but here is a list of very valuable shortcuts.

_- Double click = Insert a note; the length is equal to the Length Quantize.

• Double click, keep the 2nd mouse down, and move left/right = Insert a note + adjust the length
  • Double click, keep the 2nd mouse down, and move left/right = Insert a note + adjust the length with the Snap on
  • Double click, keep the 2nd mouse down, move left/right with Ctrl/Cmd modifier = Insert a note + adjust the length with the Snap Off temporarily
  • Double click, keep the 2nd mouse down, move left/right with Shift modifier = Insert a note and move the Note Start afterwords
  • Double click, keep the 2nd mouse down, and move up/down = Insert a note + adjust the Velocity
  • Double click, keep the 2nd mouse down, move up/down with Alt modifier = Insert a note and change the pitch afterwords

Of course, you can do all “combinations” one by one:
  • Double click, keep the 2nd mouse down, hold Shift + move left/right > Move the Note Start; release Shift + move up/down > set the Velocity; hold Alt and move up/down > change the Pitch; release Alt and hold Ctrl/Cmd + move left/right > change the length with Snap Off; release the mouse > the MIDI Note is inserted._
1 Like

You’re right!!!

I was stuck for weeks with this…

Thanks for this and for the shortcuts, it is really appreciate!

Had same problem, could not adjust the length but my focus was on the end of the note. I could adjust the beginning and lengthen the note by any amount but it was the end that would only jump by sixteenths. Solved my question too, it was the Length Quantisize. Also those shortcuts are great, thanks!