Midi Note Off missing in monitor during playback

Hi everyone.

I’m quite new to Cubase and Midi Keyboard controllers after watching some great composers on Youtube (like Guy Michelmore) it’s inspired me to get composing.

So I bought a shiny new laptop, studio monitors and a Midi Keyboard, Cubase and a selection of VSTs. I’ve composed a few bars of music, basic violin melody, over some cello cords and some bass octaves, just 4 tracks in total, using some VSTs from EastWest. But occasionally when I playback, some notes randomly stop playing. To describe the sound, it reminds me of when I was a kid with a Yamaha keyboard and I played more notes that the Polyphony would allow, so some just suddenly cut off.

I have done some Google and forum searches and got to the point of putting the midi monitor on, and sure enough in the live monitor I see “note on” and “note off” corresponding with the key presses on the Midi Keyboard, however when I view the monitor for playback, I only see note on, never any note off, but that would suggest every note is stuck on which isn’t the case at all.

Really need some help as its put me right off the whole idea and I’ve invested quite considerably to give myself a decent bit of equipment.

My setup is;

HP ZBook G5 - Intel Core i7 (9th Gen) 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 1TB External HDD connected via USB 3.1
M-Audio Oxygen 49 Midi Keyboard Controller (USB connection)
Cubase Pro 10.5
Spitfire Audio BBC SO (free version)
EastWest Sounds Online - Subscription
Presonus Eris 3.5 Studio Monitors
ASIO4ALL V2 Drivers

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Regards

Gavin

Hi and welcome,

Most probably, this is not Note Off problem. My expectation is, you would need to increase the Buffer Size of your Audio Device (in your case ASIO4ALL driver).

I would also recommend to test your system by using LatencyMon utility, and optimise the system, if necessary.

@GNellist , did you solve this? I believe I am experiencing the same thing now. It is causing my library to behave oddly because it requires the note-off’s to be sent.