Midi note resizing

For some unexplained reason, when I try to resize a MIDI note in the Key Editor, instead of extending the note to the left or right, a new note and velocity is created. This is not the behavior in the editor that I was expecting.

How can I turn this behavior off?

Hi
Pehraps the pencil is activated use right click choose arrow and then click on your notes.

Hope this helps.

Greetz Bassbase

What method of changing the lenght do you use?

I’m using the arrow, placing it on the end of the note until it turns into the double arrow. I’ve found a work around where I have to select the note first by drawing a selection rectangle through the note. Then I can size it normally. I’ve been using Cubase for a number of years, since version 3.x, and this odd editor behavior is something that just recently sprung up.

I’m seeing this too… I do midi so rarely, I don’t know if it came with 6.0 or 6.5??

To OP: What version of Cubase?
Can you post screenshots?

Just tested in Elements 6.0.2 (default preferences).

Works as expected.

edit: Tested in full 6.5.0 (default preferences).

Works as expected.

You could try trashing your prefs.

Cubase 6.5 Windows 7 x64
Attached is a screen shot showing the extra note and velocity created after resizing the note to the left.

Please note that this post is not meant to be condescending in any way:

I looked back through your posting history to see if that might help shed some light on the problem, and found this thread: Midi editing problem - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

So, out of curiosity, I tested a “note on top of another note” in my key editor.

My results using the arrow selection tool (resizing a note to the left) looked very similar to your screenshot.

Is is possible that you have a “double note” :question:

It makes sense that editing via the arrow selection tool would generate the new velocity as it’s only selecting one note at a time. This would appear to create a new velocity because it’s only moving one note’s velocity back while the other note’s velocity stays put.
However, the selection rectangle would select both notes and move both velocities at the same time.

No, I’m certain that is not the case. For example, the screen shot was of a single note that I recorded to be rendered to audio and used in a granular patch I was putting together.

Recorded via MIDI controller?
Or drawn into the key editor?

I’m referencing your earlier issue (in the thread that I linked) of two notes being recorded at once when using “All MIDI Inputs”.

You’re certain?

To test: Highlight the note that you think Shinta is referring to and delete it. Is one note left over (under)?

Or second test

Make a empty midifile draw in a note and try to reseize.

Couldn’t reproduce this problem.

Or third test klick on the note and use arrowkeys up or down.

Greetz Bassbasel

All Midi Inputs is the culprit in my case, I bet!

Damn! (you were right).

The thing is, I don’t remember this behavior in prior versions when input was set to All Midi inputs. I’m recording input that is coming from a distinct MIDI input device. Why would it lay down two notes?

I’ll just have to stop being lazy and make sure to assign a defined input.

Thanks, for everyone’s help.

The conclusion of the thread that I linked to (Midi editing problem - Cubase - Steinberg Forums) indicated that you have had a problem like this before.

As for why:

In that thread:

or possibly both the direct music midi ports and the emulated direct music midi ports are visible to Cubase.

Both virtual ports are being fed by the same physical input. Cubase assumes two separate inputs (as it can only see the virtual ports) and records two of the same note within the same MIDI event.

This can be solved by adjusting the ports that are part of the “All MIDI Inputs” set, removing any duplicates.

This seems to be the case. My primary keyboard is a Virus TI Polar and it has two virtual MIDI outputs, one named Synth and the other MIDI.