MIDI note "voice", what is it good for?

I’ve noticed there is a way that enables you to assign a “voice” (Soprano, Alt, Tenor, Bass) to MIDI notes, and I’ve also seen that referenced multiple times across the Cubase Manual.

What I couldn’t figure out is what exactly are those used for? What are the applications of assigning voices to notes?

EDIT: As per the post by @Martin.Jirsak following this one, it’s not related.

So disregard this post -just leaving it here as context for the following posts.

Could it be for this? Generating Harmony Voices for Monophonic Audio

Hi,

This might be useful for the notation. In the Score Editor, you can setup rules for the voices, for example, where to draw the Stem (Up/Down), etc.

Hi,

No, this is something totally different.

I think of this in the context of SATB four part choral work, or writing for string quartet, or any 2 to 8 part harmony material. (there are two each of the S A T B labels.)

Once assigned, these are variables you can address from Logical Editor to do operations. For instance, it provides a way to filter in or out an inner voice harmony even when voices are crossing over each other, which can’t be done easily using the Context Variables in the LE.

I’m sure there are other uses for it too…

1 Like

Yes, you can set the Key Editor to color Notes based on the Voice which make’s the individual lines more visible.

I have LE Presets that toggle the Mute for Notes based on its Voice. Makes it easy to hear the lines in various combinations - OK, now just the Sopranos & Basses.

4 Likes

Ok so basically it’s just a way to “label” the notes so you can later address those for automated tasks (Logic Editor) or just to help you read the notes, right?

Can this effect playback in any way? I.e. can you define a different output (instrument) for each voice?

No. That’s really best done by Channel Number the way MIDI was designed. But you can easily set Channel Numbers based on the Voice using the LE.

1 Like