Midi Remote - Button vs. Trigger Pad

In the Midi Remote editor, what’s the difference between a Button and a Trigger Pad?

Thanks,
buzz

Hi,

Button is On and Off. Trigger is just one-hit trigger (On).

Like a toggle button? Ok, but there’s only one mapping for it. Shouldn’t there be a mapping for the on position and a mapping for the off position? But I don’t see that, just one mapping for the button. What, does it fire off the same thing whether you’re turning it on or off? That seems ridiculous. It should be one mapping to the note on message and another for the note off. Like not using floss after a meal, it just shouldn’t be done like that!

Like Martin said, a Trigger only has a single state (aka an on without any off) it’s purpose isn’t to turn things on & off (that’s a job for a Button which does have 2 states). A Trigger’s purpose in life is to initiate (trigger) some action not change a state. You’d use a Trigger to do things like running a Macro, adding a Marker, or Saving your Project - stuff that just occurs.

No, simply because whatever can be toggled is toggled internally by the DAW. For example, say you want to bind a button to the metronome state. One click sets metronome off, another one to on and so on.

Hi Raino, exactly that, however let’s note that in MR there is always the option to make even trigger pads to toggle and the other way around. For example, I’m always using some of my trigger pads for toggle actions, np at all :slight_smile:

“No, simply because whatever can be toggled is toggled internally by the DAW. For example, say you want to bind a button to the metronome state. One click sets metronome off, another one to on and so on.”

Ok, but then what makes it any different than a trigger button? If it’s simply sending the same MIDI message for every click, regardless of on or off, then it’s no different than a trigger. On/off doesn’t really mean anything to the Cubase control surface itself, does it?

A toggle button will send a midi CC with value 127 when clicked, and upon the next click it will send a value of 0. It’s up to the DAW to deal with this, and toggle properly whichever property you have assigned to it.
I know it can be confusing, since hardware buttons can also be designed to gate, i.e. send 127 when pressed, and 0 when released.
And then, there is another obvious difference. It’s the velocity of pads which is transmitted while we push them (when they are assigned to notes). When we use them to trigger commands, this makes no difference, however we can even set them (using scripting) to perform host value changes in different power based on the velocity. For example, we can create a “forward” binding for strong push, while a bar+1 when pushing softly.

2 Likes

But it still doesn’t make sense. If I’ve got a hardware button, as you describe, that sends 127 when clicked and 0 on the next click, alternating like a toggle, then the Mapping Assistant should give me, for that one button, two (2) mappings - one for 127 and one for 0. I want different things to happen on each of those values (in my case it’s one PLE preset that shows a particular folder and another that hides it). But the mapping assistant doesn’t do this, it only gives you one mapping, not 2 as I’d expect. Which again brings me back to my original question: how is that any different than a trigger pad, which also just has one mapping?

Right now I have to create 2 buttons on the controller surface for every button on my hardware controller (Lemur on a tablet) - one for the toggle on (on my controller) and one for the toggle off. Is there a way to have only one button that will map to 2 different Cubase functions depending on the value?

Thanks,
buzz

What you have found is only one of many shortcomings when it comes to remote controlling Cubase. I can only hope that Steinberg will clean it up once and for all in the future. At least you have a working option—create two buttons, one for ON and one for OFF. Not intuitive, but it works.

1 Like