Midi Remote Control for each project

After all, we see there is lot to find out about mapping the Cubase Mixconsole to our individual controllers. Advertising is the one thing …
I will contribute to the discussion if I found out more.
Thanks to everyone answering so quickly and to the point.
KaGe

1 Like

Hmm, actually I didn’t try that out. Did you? If that works: unintended feature :joy:

Perhaps it could be turned into an intended feature? :smiley:
I like the idea of having multiple scripts active at the same time. Makes management a lot easier if using multiple control devices.

Sorry, of cause, having multiple “Scripts” active at the same time is an “intended” feature. What I mean is sharing one MIxerBankZone across multiple active scripts, that’s not intended. But if it works: no complains from my side :wink:

2 Likes

Dear Jochen and Giampalo,
you two helped me most with your info and screenshots. And of course thanks to all of you.
Now I am getting closer to the setting I wish to install.
I think the problem with my setup was that I included subgroups and VCAs in my channel setup.

So the mapping was messed up with the fact that channel 3 was the subgroup and channel 7 was the VCA, e.g. Channel 4 then became Audiochannel 3. So that was confusing.
So I changed the order of my channels and put the subgroups and VCAs behind my 32 channels that are supposed to be controlled by my 4 BCFs.

By doing this I get the right order of audio/midi-channels in my Mixconsole.

What I still find a bit difficult is that I must stick to this order and I cannot spontaneously add a parallel compression channel or any other (e.g. sampler) channel without getting confusion in the mapping again. I also found it useful to have the subgroups near the audiochannels. But these are seperated now in the back of the project if I follow the new setting. I `ll put these on different Mix console settings, then.

I am thinking about adding another 32 channels (64 as a whole), so I can put additional channels there. In addition to my Behringers I will try to control these with my Allen & Heath QU32 mixer, which already has worked before.

That would be my intented feature.

I will tell you if this concept really works.
Have a nice weekend,
KaGe

1 Like

… and it works really well - I’m using multiple MIDI Remote connected controllers daily!

1 Like

Hi Nico5,
I am still struggling with my midi remote setup.
All works fine with the QU32 but the BCFs which are connected via single Midi in- and outputs still only support the first 8 faders although I changed the setting for the number of channels to 126 and mapped the faders to my 32 channels (that sometimes works but is not always correctly saved). When I recall a second project the mapping doesn`t follow and when I return to the project before the mapping is also gone. Fader 9-16, e.g., then are related to faders 1-8 in Cubase.
This is how my setup should look like:

Now I found out that the new midi remote control doesnt send back midi information to my gear (all motorised!), so they dont move when I use the faders with the mouse inside Cubase.

I suppose I have to wait till the next update when they have fixed several issues.
I`d rather return to my generative controllers where I already have set up everything for all my projects. And the faders move on my hardware.

Thank you all for your contributions and maybe Jochen can bring in my aspects into the Seinberg developer team.
KaGe

1 Like

Hi,

Here you can find a script for BCF2000.

Something must be wrong in your script. Motorized faders are working on my side.

How? The callbacks are not being called with the internal Cubase value, and the display value is only being sent in special cases.

Hi,

All automated parameters are sending MIDI message back and some more.

Which parameters do you want to send to the faders?

Don’t. Just wanted to make a blank page, but maybe you have another solution.
See this thread: Surface Midi Remote Command - #16 by oqion

I get it now, about the feedback. actually that may help solve another problem I was having in a different script. The issue with the events not being provided isn’t an issue when the device responds to the MIDI directly. That’s how why no one noticed the events not being sent back in QA because they weren’t ever being tested with something that required scripting to respond. This has been confusing me for some time now. It looked janky like a big defect, but it is just an oversight in how the script might be used, or how it might have to be used in some situations.

Anyway, maybe you can help on the other thread. It might be something simmilar.

So @Martin.Jirsak @Nico5 , Why isn’t this working? Do you think it is because the feedback is being interrupted by the callback?

Wouldn’t you want to create them as one single very large MIDI Remote device, since they are connected via the same USB port?

Hi,

Hard to guess, if we don’t see the code.

Yes, I was thinking about that. Give me some time to try it out.
So the motorized faders move in Martins setup. Interesting. I chose the right midi-in and -outs. But I get no reaction. I am sorry, but I cant present you my scripts because they all are only saved in the .json-format and I cant load that up. I couldnt try out Martins script because although I could import it it doesnt show up as a device in the lower zone.

KaGe

Yeah the export/import can fail to work properly due to the potential differences in port names (because of differences between MacOS and Windows, or whatever other things that may have made a port name deviate from the default). – I hope @Jochen_Trappe has some ideas to allow the adjusting of port names after import, because at the moment the sharing of .midiremote files is not always working as intended.

When you do your test with making a single MIDI Remote device from 2 or more BCFs,

• first deactivate all of your older scripts
  • and then make a new one:
    • just start simple: Learn just one fader from each of 2 different hardware controllers (ensuring they are sending unique combinations of midi channel and CC number)
  • And just map those 2 to Cubase.

This really should work and if it works for that example, it should work for the larger environment (assuming each fader across all your BCFs sends unique midi channel and CC numbers)

Hi,

Could you please provide an information, how do you make the “script” (JSON), please? Do you use the Mapping Assistant? Which value did you assigned exactly? Are you sure the incoming MIDI message is the very same as the one on the output? For example BCF2000 (same as Mackie Control Universal or C4) uses dedicated MIDI message for the ring around the V-Pot. So you need different message on the Input and on the Outputs. This is probably not achievable via the Mapping Assistant. Isn’t this the case?

1 Like

I had forgotten about using the BCF in Mackie Mode, and yes, I think that would not work with the MIDI Remote.

However, I think you can make the BCF2000 use regular CC messages, and in that case, it should work ok?

I have an idea: wait for the first maintenance update. We’ve covered that already :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Hi again,
Nico5, your idea about starting with a small setup is a good one.
But while reconnecting my BCFs via daisychain my fear grew that I lose all my old settings.
After Jochen pointed at the next maintenance update I decided to wait and go on mixing my projects.
Thank you all,
KaGe

2 Likes