MIDI remote multiple instances bug?

I’ve noticed a weird bug in MIDI remote. I’ve made scripts for my Akai LPD8 and Novation Impulse 49, and both seem to show up with an extra instance of each upon loading Cubase.

So there’s two instances of each in MIDI remote, one connected and the other disconnected. The second instance disappears when I disable and re-enable the script.

Anyone else experienced this?

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Did you script it or did you use the Mapping Assistant, please? Are you willing to share the script (via PM), please?

Hi Martin

I used the mapping assistant for both, sure I will share the scripts with you

Hi,

Could you please double-check the Studio > Studio Setup > MIDI Ports Setup? Do you see more instances of the MIDI Port(s) here? Do you maybe use the new WinRT MIDI and the old MIDI driver?

Hi,

Did you find out anything about this?
I have the same or a similar issue.

It had started from the very beginning when I got a Launchkey Mk3, it started to appear in several instances in my MIDI Remote Editor.

In the meantime I tried several other MIDI controllers. Each left its remains and at the moment I boast:
2 instances of an Akai MP32
2 instances of an M-Audio Oxygen
7 instances of a Novation SL25 - one of them is always activated though nothing is connected
7 instances of the initial Novation Launchkey Mk3, of which two get activated simultaneously when I connect it

Removing the controler surfaces does not help, they are back on the next start.

I try to add a screenshot, hope it works.

Does anybody have an idea how to fix that?

Hi, here’s what I would look for:

• Check in the Local folder (on Windows it’s C:\Users\yourNameHere\Documents\Steinberg\Cubase\MIDI Remote\Driver Scripts\Local for midi remotes. If you don’t need them, delete these folders.

• Open the folder C:\Users\yourNameHere\Documents\Steinberg\Cubase\MIDI Remote\User Settings and inspect the json files there. I would personally erase everything, but note that this would mean that you would lose any custom assignments you’ve done to the public scripts.

I think that what you’re seeing is because of different port assignments in the very same controllers.

Hi m.c,

thank you very much for your quick answer!

I emptied out the Local folder and the User settings. (in my case they were under: … \onedrive\Documents\Steinberg.… maybe because I am on Windows 11)

The controllers for which I had created user scripts, are gone.
But all 7 instances of the Launchkey are still there.
Deleting everything inside the Public folder doesn’t help, Cubase instantly brings the folders back with the restart.

Bringing back any of my user scripts also brings back all the dead instances.

As a test I created a new user script for the SL Mk2. It stays a single instance until I use a different USB port. If I do that, Cubase doesn’t connect the Instance from the editor to the device and I have to add a new instance to use it. The old one remains there - forever.

So I guess this terrible overdose on device instances comes from using different USB ports and from changing my computer.

Do you have any idea how I could sort out this mess? :sweat_smile:

… And there is still the question why the Launchkey would show two active instances at the same time. :disappointed_relieved:

Exactly.

Most probably you’ve accidentally assigned the different two sets of its midi ports. Could you upload screenshot of the midi ports assigned to these surfaces, by going to MIDI Remote Manager and selecting each instance?

1 Like

Yes, you are right! There are two ports and I used both.

By any chance, do you also know how to clean up all these instances? :sweat_smile:

What happens if you click on "Disable Controller Script"On the first one? Now the window should go blank. If you now enable the script from the midi remote manager, do the two instances come back again?

1 Like

Hey, thank you very much, that really cleans it up!

It still is a bit strange, because if I open an old project, the dead instances are back. And if I create a new project afterwards, it starts with all the dead instances.
At least now I simply deactivate the script and activate it again and everything is neat and tidy :blush:

Thank you very much for your help!

Yes. Surfaces midi ports settings are saved with the project, and upon the creation of a new one afterwards, they stay there. In fact, I think we should make an issue-thread for this one.

1 Like