MIDI Starts to record 1 bar before my Cycle marker starts?

Hello, I often use cycle recording and have it set to when I press record, it automatically starts at the beginning of my left marker. But every time I do, it starts the recording 1 bar before it. It’s rather annoying as I constantly have to delete that little part in the beggining to keep it all clean. Any thoughts on how I can correct this?

Do you happen to have pre-roll enabled?
If so, just disable it :wink:

I checked it just now and I did not have pre rolled enabled. I did notice when I uncheck “click during count in” in the metronome setup window, it doesn’t do it but of course I can’t hear my click in and it just starts right away which is not what I want. This is a little thing but very frustrating.

Hi
Any news regarding this problem ?
I have the same issue on a Mac Studio M1.

Best
Robert

It’s hard to tell for sure based on what’s visible in the screenshot, but this looks like normal behavior. Under normal circumstances a Recording will start from the Cursor’s starting position. This occurs whether you are loop recording or not. The Locator positions do not directly control the Recording’s Start & Stop locations. So if you have a loop and the Cursor is 2 bars before the loop the recording will start 2 bars before the Loop and then as you continue Recording while looping you’ll get multiple Takes on Lanes in the looped section. Pretty much what’s in the screenshot above

In order to not start recording at the Cursor’s position you need to use Punch In/Out. By default the In & Out points are locked to the Left & Right Locators - which likely contributes to your confusion on how this works. The Punch In & Out points can also be moved independent of the Locators so you can start & stop recording anywhere. You’ll probably want to make the Punch In/Out visible on the Transport so you can see it.

To get the results you are after

1. Make sure the Punch In/Out points are Locked to the Locators.
  2. Record Enable the Tracks you want to record on
  3. On the Transport enable Punch In/Out Recording
  4. Put your cursor a bar or 2 before the Loop and initiate Play (not Record)
  5. The project will start playing but not recording from the Cursor’s position
  6. When the Cursor reaches the Punch In point Recording will begin

The manual has a more detailed description of how all this works.

Thanks Raino.

Im on a Mac Studio M1. (Migrated from Logic Pro X/ Studio One)
RME Fireface UFXII
Arturia Kelab. 49 MKII

Yes I tried to do like you said. And that works. Nice.
But
The thing is… I want to use the “Count in” (1 Bar)
During that count-in bar ,the recording starts.( without me playing on my midi keyboard. Cubase create a empty region with the count in bar. So if I want to record 4 bars…it always record 5 bars. But the first bar is empty.

And as Esimone00 wright… I need to manually delete that part every time.

I also have Cubase on another Mac … ( MacBook Pro)
This thing don’t occurs on that machine?
There is no recording during the “count in”.( unless I start to play)

So when I discovered this on my Mac Studio , I thought I might have I activated a feature by mistake .

I also imported my project settings to my MacBook. and still there is no “recording” before the left locator.

Now my feeling is that this might be a M1 bug ? I have never seen this thing happen in Logic Pro our in Studio One.

OR… maybe there is some midi information ( Sysex thing ) that is sending ?
(I disconnected my Midi keyboard… but nothing changed)

Best
Robert

Solved!!

In “Studio setup” - “Midi Port Setup”- “In all midi inputs”
Disable all midi units that you don’t need. In my case I just kept my Midi Keyboard on.

So I guess it Cubase recording sysex info and other midi information … and that’s logical.

Okay so this is very weird. Back when I posted this originally, I had a launchkey 61MK3 and then got a komplete kontrol S61. Fast forward to now, I just got another Launchkey61 MK3 and now this problem comes back. I’m thinking it’s the launchkey controller. When I press record, I literally don’t touch any key, and it puts a 1 bar note of C-2 down. and then when I open up the editor window, Isee it repeats C2 over and over again. and I never even pressed a key.

Again, I have this problem since I posted in 2021 and now I get a new keyboard and this happens.

Any thoughts?

Update. I figured out the reason. When I deleted the Mackie HUI device, it works like normal. Now for my main desk, I don’t really need to use my launchkey transport controls, because I have key commands for it all. But I was planning on buying a second novation keyboard to control my synth and cubase transport controls because my synth rack is about 20 feet away from my computer. Any idea how to get this to work normally and use the Mackie HUI?

Hi from Paris
Same issue ( very boring ) on cubase 12 artist ( 12.0.60 ) :
I want to start recording from markers or bar with precount but it doesn’t !
if I select the precount , when I start recording the bar goes back from starting point instead keep its place .
I just want to record from the marker or bar position , with a precount clic !
( I tried the @Robert_Ljunggren solution but non working : all midi units are already disabled )
Thanks in advance for your help
Best regards