MIDI Step Editor – Hear chords while stepping through with keyboard?

Hello everyone,

is it anyhow possible to leave the freaking mouse finally where it is, and use the MIDI Step Editor’s most basic tasks with a computer keyboard or midi controller?

Like, I don’t get how you guys try out new chord ideas in Cubase, unless you’re scrubbing through your chord progression with the mouse using the scrub tool?

What I’m trying to do is to enter new chords step by step in the key editor (which works using MIDI Step Editor), but once I realize ‘oh, let’s try a few different chords instead’, delete the last chord (which also works using shift+b I think), play a new chord instead (which obviously works using my MIDI keyboard) I CANNOT hear the actual chord progression quickly by stepping back and forth through the chord progression in the Key Editor using the b and n keys on my computer keyboard?

It seems this is only possible by (VERY inefficiently!) resorting to the mouse and the scrub tool?

Like, at this point I’m not even asking for a way to accomplish said behaviour (stepping through the Key Editor using the computer keyboard AND hearing the chords while doing so) since I’m fairly certain Steinberg never cared about actual convenience features here (and probably never will), but don’t we have any sort of work around for this behaviour?

If this can be scripted by using some hotkey that plays the currently selected chord (via MIDI Step Editor marker), then I’ll just create some Autohotkey script that presses b / n + said hotkey to play the chord in the Key Editor, but such a behaviour is (again) apparently only possible by pressing Ctrl + Mouse click on a note of the chord or using the lower part of the Key Editor and clicking at the corresponding chord’s location? (by again using the freaking mouse, that I despise so much…).

Does anyone have any ideas for how to free Cubase from its mouse centric features, and make it more ‘developer friendly’?

(usually we’re a rare breed of people that call the invention of the mouse one of the biggest mistakes of humanity – the present-day ‘mouse-first’ design choices of many software companies more often than not just lead to the keyboard becoming an afterthought)

Thanks!

Try using chord pads. The use the built-in virtual keyboard functionally… Alt-K. then press keys on your keyboard to cycle your chords in the chord pad.

Perhaps the command Restart from Last Stop Position could be helpful?
I can’t remember if it is assigned to a Key Command by default. I have it mapped to Ctrl+Space.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I’ve already peeked into chord pads, but they seem to be again very mouse focused?

Is there any way I can use my computer or midi keyboard to quickly ‘draft’ chord progressions (at least, not even talking about the keyboard scrubbing now) without resorting to the muscle straining agony animal?

Like, if I can only play them back on a play and pause basis that may be fine if I get the benefit of Cubase doing the heavy lifting as far as chord selection goes.

Sorry but your asking the wrong guy…
I live on my computer with mouse clicks…
I can’t stand the Touch pad on laptops…
You can try to create custom macros to remove mouse clicks… that might work…

Cheers,