MIDI Tempo Sync External Effect?

How do you tempo sync an external effect to cubase?

I know you connect a midi cable!

But then?

Do you just add a midi track to the project and midi out from the inspector of that track to the port/ channel connected to the external effect?

Thanks.

Como

Transport menu → Project synchronization setup
Send MIDI clock out to the port that the effect is on (effect must be able to receive MIDI clock messages).
There are other options as well that you may want active.

Look at page 499 of the operation manual (Synchronization chapter)

Thanks, Pal!

OK … I see there are several timing options/ choices.

Any one have any opinion whether it’s better to use C6 internal timing or the ASIO choice and use my RME interface?

Como

You are confusing the MIDI clock settings, which send MIDI clock as Master to your extrnal device, with the MIDI Timecode settings. Unless you’ re not slaving Cubase, to an external timecode signal, that option needs to be internal

I am easily confused! The project sync setup page gives 4 options: internal timecode (the default), midi timecode, ASIO Audio Device and System VST.

You said: “Unless you’ re not slaving Cubase, to an external timecode signal, that option needs to be internal” I would have thought you meant ‘unless you’re slaving Cubase.’ Was that a typo, or am I totally lost?

So doesn’t selecting ASIO Audio Device slave Cubase to my RME interface?

If so, I’m still curious about any relative advantages/ disadvantages of either option.

If not, I’ll just go with the default for the time being and try to learn more later.

Thanks, ThinkingCap.

Como

Yes, sure - typo. If you’ re not syncing to extetnal timecode or systemlink, you shoul stay on internal.

No, this option is for external synching cards that support ASIO positioning protocol.

It’ s not really about advantages or disadvantes, but technical reasons, depending on what signal you want to externally slave Cubase to (if at all)

Thanks again Thinking Cap. I’ll go the straightforward ‘internal timecode’ route and hopefully safely arrive at my destination.

Of course, you have provoked me … as now I have to learn about “ASIO positioning protocol.”

I forgive you.

Como

Rule of thumb: the audio sample clock of the recording device should follow the sample clock of the A/D conversion device (slaved to). This has indeed nothing to do with MIDI time code. For example, I work with the Tascam DM3200 mixing board, which is my A/D converter, so it’s the audio sample clock master. At the same time it’s the MIDI slave to Cubase for project timing (MTC), which essentialy is ‘song’ position.

I thought the audio sample clock was more or less covered by the ASIO driver selection in Devices. No?

I guess I need to do some more ReadinTheFatManual, as it’s not clear to me how the ‘ASIO positioning protocol’ would differ from … and if it doesn’t, why it would be a project sync option.

But I got my main question answered: ‘internal midi timecode’ with selection of the midi port/ channels in the boxes at the lower right of the pop up window.

Since I expect those effects are going to stay racked for a long time, looks like it’s time to start updating all my templates.

Como

Yes, as said before that whole menu you are looking at has nothing to do with the sample clock, but with synchronising Cubase to an external time reference

As stated before already, to sync your external FX, you should have a look at the MIDI clock settings, that MIDI timecode settings will usually not help you anything at all with your external FX.

thinkingcap … thanks for your patience!

I’ve got it now: timecode is for video.

I should have read the Synchronization chapter more carefully and not wasted your time.

Sorry.

It looks like if I am only wanting to send tempo information for delays, I don’t need to activate any of the options which appear related to song positioning or midi machine code … although I can’t see that it would hurt.

Is this correct?

Como

Not only, but - yes

That´s what I was trying to say. MTC gives absolute time- and transport synchronisation, MIDI Clock gives tempo synchronisatio info.

You probably should have, but well… I forgive you too :wink: