Migration from eLicenser to iLok

Steinberg is phasing out its eLicenser security model for the iLok model sometime this year. I own both for use with a variety of software to include Cubase & VSL products (eLicenser) and various other plugins licensed with iLok. I’ve read elsewhere that hardware for these two security models are different, but this sounds strange to me. Do not both security models use a USB thumb drive? How exactly do eLicenser and iLok USB thumb drives differ? Software? Absolutely, but hardware? How so?

I wonder, how will the migration be handled for eLicenser customers? I know VSL will adopt iLok as a result, and for some unknown reason, Vienna Key USB “dongles” will become useless. Again, I can understand how the software end of the spectrum will be a complete ditch, but why can’t a Vienna Key eLicenser USB thumb drive be repurposed for iLok?

Hey, this is not the end of the world. I’m simply curious how about the hardware aspect of this migration.

Your feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

This is not correct. Steinberg is creating their own system.

The USB devices are completely proprietary and secret, there’s no repurposing of this stuff possible.

This is not correct. Steinberg is creating their own system.

Thank you for the clarification. I think VSL is dropping eLicenser for iLok, and I doubt it will adopt Steinberg’s new security model.

The USB devices are completely proprietary and secret, there’s no repurposing of this stuff possible.

Understood. Thank you.

Yes, that’s my understanding as well. VSL is going to ilok, but from what I read on their website the Elicenser will continue working for quite a while, albeit not for new licenses.