Mini PC with laptop parts

Does anyone make a mini form PC (say 7" x 7" x 3") with laptop components?? Mini form music box preferable than buyiing a laptop if possible.

Laptops have plenty of grunt these days, shouldn’t be that hard to build.

Thx

Use one of these as the basis of a tiny system

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-nuc-intel-qs77-express-intel-core-i5-3427u-28ghz-dual-channel-ddr3-so-dimm-hdmi-minidp-4x4-oem

Stick it in one of these

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-newton-nuc-black-full-aluminium-fanless-case-and-vesa-mounting-with-65w-power-adapter

And you’ve got a 6x6x 2 machine.

MC

Steve,

you obviously didn’t follow my links :slight_smile:

this is the new small NUC intel form factor, it’s tiny even compared to a mATX board, they’re 4x4. if you put it in the passive case I showed, you’ve got a silent 6x6 computer with a VESA mount so you can fix it to the back of a monitor and have an all in one system like an imac if you like.

MC

Thx all for the feedback - “Just curious, what is your reason or plans to go small/compact? And why not just a laptop?”

I’ve used IBM/Levono T series laptops – unbelievable reliability – but laptop never moves from the desk, so I’m looking at the alternatives.

I have space considerations – Levono make a ‘tiny’ desktop - 1.4" x 7.1" x 7.2" – which would be perfect – but only up to i5 plus integrated graphics.

Get a HP elite book and you can tinker to your hearts content.

I swapped CPU, ram and hardrives on mine :slight_smile:

I now have a 14 inch laptop with a quad core/ 8 thread i7, 16 gigs of ram, SSD fro OS and second 1TB drive for audio /samples.

MC

Found these -

Dell OptiPlex 9020 Ultra Small Form Factor $719
§ 4th Gen Intel® Core™ I5-4570S Processor (Quad Core, 2.90GHz Turbo, 6MB, w/ HD Graphics 4600)
§ 4GB (1X4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Memory
§ 8X DVD-ROM Drive
§ 320GB 2.5inch SATA (7.200 RPM) Hard Drive
§ Integrated Graphics
§ 9.44 x 2.56 x 9.32 H x W x D

Levono M92p Tiny $809
§ Intel Core i5-3470T Processor (3M Cache, 2.90GHz)
§ Intel® Q77 Express Chipset
§ Total memory:4GBx1 PC3-12800 DDR3 SoDIMM
§ First hard drive:500GB SATA 2.5" Hard Drive, 7200rpm
§ Integrated Graphics
§ 7.44 x 1.4 x 7.32 H x W x D
§ Ports/Slots - Front: 2 USB 3.0, mic/headphone jack Rear: 1 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0, 1 VGA, 1 DisplayPort, 1 additional DisplayPort (optional), 1 Mini PCI Express

Trade off seems to be max of 8GB memory, plus integrated graphics.
Q - Is integrated graphics still a problem these days, or stay with a separate video chip?? Have been told that the PCIe can be used for a video card.