Missing audio files in HALion Sonic

Most of the sounds from Halion Sonic SE Pro library do not play. I get a screen message that says, “Some audio files are missing, please check installation”. I downloaded all .vstsound sets from the Halion Sonic 3 Download Assistant, installed them but they still don’t play. What is wrong here?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

1 Like

HALion Sonic 3 (not free) is not the same as HALion Sonic SE 3 (free).
If you installed libraries for HS3 without a license, they won’t play, but you should get a license warning. The “Pro” library is included in Cubase Pro but not Elements (I think). Which Cubase version are you using?

Hi,

I can confirm, HALion Sonic 3 is not HALion Sonic SE 3. HALion Sonic SE 3 is part of Cubase license, HALion Sonic 3 is separated product.

HALion Sonic SE 3 is part of all Cubase 11 editions. The libraries are following:

• Pro / Artist / Basis Set: Cubase Pro
  • Artist / Basis Set: Cubase Artist and Cubase Elements
  • Basis Set: Cubase LE, AI

For more detail, please have a look into the Cubase editions comparison chart.

Sorry, I should have made this clearer. I have Cubase Pro, version 11.
I have both versions of HALion Sonic 3, the paid version and SE 3 version. I believe these sound libraries came with the SE version. . . “HS SE Artist”, “HS SE Basic”, “HS SE Basic”, and “HS SE Pro”. Of course they all play in both the paid and SE version but for some reason “HS SE Pro” sounds say they are missing when I try to play them in either HALion Sonic 3 plugin. I guess I need to know where I can find those particular .vstsound files to load back onto my system. I tried reloading both VST instruments with the extensive 29 GB library again from Steinberg’s Download Assistant but it did not evidently load those missing patches from the HS SE Pro library. When I check the details in Stienberg Library Manager it shows 4 .vstsound factory sound files under HS SE Pro but they do not load and the Manager does not show any errors or problems of any kind.

This leads me to my next question. As long as a person has the paid HS 3 version, why would you even need the SE 3 version? Might it be best to uninstall SE 3 ?

Thanks!!!

Hi,

Please, double-check Steinberg Library Manager application. Can you see HALion Sonic SE Pro library there? If you click to the Details, can you see, where is the library located, please?

If you don’t see it, download it again from the Steinberg Download Assistant > Cubase > Cubase 11 Pro > HALion Sonic SE 3 Content. This contains the whole HALion Sonic SE 3 library, including HS SE Pro, you are probably missing.

The files are:

• FCP_SMT_079_HSSE_Pro.vstsound
  • FCP_SMT_087_HSSE_VST_Expression.vstsound
  • FCP_SMT_077_HSSE_Pro_Instrument_Presets_01.vstsound
  • FCP_SMT_080_HSSE_Pro_Presets.vstsound
  • FCP_SMT_088_HSSE_VST_Expression_Presets.vstsound
  • FCP_SMT_091_HSSE_Pro_Synth_Preset_01.vstsound
1 Like

You can but Cubase is deeply integrated with it as a default instrument for MIDI files and maybe other ways I can’t think of… if you aren’t badly in need of the space or really annoyed by SE, I would leave it. I guess you could uninstall it and see how Cubase behaves and, if needed, reinstall it.
I don’t think Cubase will crash or anything but some default behaviors might not work.

Hi,

The Instrument for the MIDI File import is the only one integration. But you can change the preferences and route it to a MIDI tracks. So it’s not the only option to use HALion Sonic SE.

1 Like

Martin and Jaslan, thank you so much for your help!

Jaslan, you are probably right. I will leave the SE 3 version intact even though I don’t use it. It’s probably the best thing to do.

Martin, I downloaded and installed the content again from the Cubase 11 Pro/HALion Sonic SE 3 Content area and it loaded the two extra sound files that were missing in HS SE Pro. Specifically both of these these:

• FCP_SMT_079_HSSE_Pro.vstsound
  • FCP_SMT_087_HSSE_VST_Expression.vstsound

Now all appears to be well when I play all sounds. Thank you so very much for taking your time to detail out this information (with indented bullets and all…impressive !!). I believe I must have only downloaded from Halion Sonic SE 3 “Resources” under the “VST Instruments & Plugins” section in the Download Assistant.

Thank you both again…so VERY MUCH! You have improved my experience with the huge learning curve of this program!!!

Now the only other problem I have (that even Steinberg’s Tech Support can’t solve) is why I can NOT double click to change a track name in Cubase Pro 11. Yes, something that simple! I can do it in Cubase 10 Pro and every previous Cubase version but not in the 10.5 or 11 updates. Hmmmmm. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi,

Could you try in Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

What graphic card do you have, please? Is the driver up to date, please?

Is your system up to date?

Hi Martin,

I started Cubase in Safe Start Mode with disabled preferences and 3rd party plugins. Opened an empty midi track but still not able to change track name. I tried this with an instrument track also (HALion SE 3) but still unable to double click and change track name.

System:
HP Obelisk
Intel i7
3.2 GHZ processor
32 GB RAM
64-bit
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6TX 1060 3GB
Card drivers and system all up to date.
I’ve had this problem for a long time and a trouble ticket had been opened [ ref:_00D30F1z._5004S22iWv:ref ] since Oct, 2020. A Steinberg tech patched into my system and deleted my Cubase Preferences file and did all the things you suggested but it still didn’t help. He also took my system specs and I emailed an actual video showing double-clicking did not highlight or able to change track names. That was several months ago and he still hasn’t gotten back to me. I think he gave up on me.

His name was Adam. ref:_00D30F1z._5004S22iWv:ref

Thanks!

Hi,

As you have NVIDIA graphic card, please try this:

• Uninstall the NVIDIA driver.
  • Download the latest Studio driver version from here.
  • Start the installation (as administrator).
  • Don’t install the whole package, use the Custom (Advanced) settings.
  • Disable everything (don’t install NVIDIA Experience, PhysX, etc.), keep just the video driver enabled.

Hi Martin,

In Safe Mode, I uninstalled the NVIDIA graphic card device driver first.

Then I continued following your directions precisely by installing only the Studio driver (I did not install the HD audio driver either). Thanks for the tip for installing as administrator! It seemed to take awhile but the procedure was successful!

I rebooted normally, opened an empty file in Cubase Pro 11, added a new track but renaming it was again unsuccessful.

Martin, that was a great help. I would never have thought to do that. Sad it did not work. I don’t understand why it works fine in Cubase Pro 10 on this same machine.

Thanks again for your time, effort and help! It is appreciated!!