Missing notes when connected to Yamaha tgx630 keyboard

I am having a problem with the above with Cubasis on my iPad mini.
Using, for example, mellow grand piano from the Cubasis instruments, I play the Yamaha keyboard and the occasional note or chord doesn’t sound. Neither is it recorded. This is irrespective of whether I have the sustain pedal attached. I do need the sustain pedal/3 pedal system to work.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your message.

Please let me have more details, how the Yamaha TGX630 is connected with Cubasis.
Does it work to play and record the Cubasis instruments via the internal Cubasis keyboard as expected at your end?

Best,
Lars

Hi Lars

Many thanks for your reply. ( By the way, I should have put Yamaha DGX 630, not TGX 630. Apologies ).

The connections are as follows:
At the back of the keyboard, there is a “USB to Host” socket ( the type commonly found on printers ) which I have put a connector in. The other end of the wire is a normal USB connection, which I have plugged into an Apple " Camera Connector". This is then plugged into a multi pin to single flash adapter, and then this is plugged into my IPad air. I have double checked with Apple, and I have the connectors they recommend, connected in the sequence they recommend. Cubasis 2 was loaded onto my IPad some time ago, and works successfully with audio recordings via my Steinberg UR 44.

It is only recently that I have attempted to use MIDI, hence with the above connections. I select an instrument from the Cubasis selection of instruments. The instruments all seem playable from my my Yamaha keyboard, and they sound as they should do. However, when I am playing a piece on my keyboard, there are occasional notes or chords missing, when listening through my earphones. When recording on Cubasis, the notes are also missing. It does not seem to be the same notes missing, it just seems random. I have tried this with a number of Cubasis instruments, principally keyboard and guitar. I have not noticed this when I use the keys which appear on the IPAD screen. But, this is entirely different from playing seriously on a Yamaha keyboard, of course.

Many thanks
All the best

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the update.

Please double check if increasing polyphony helps to solve the issue.
To do so, please go to Setup/Audio and choose a higher value such as 48, 64 or 128.

Please let me know about the result.

Thanks,
Lars

Hi Lars

Many thanks for prompt reply.

Ok, we have progress. I can increase the polyphony as far as 48, which I have done. This appears to solve the problem, until I plug in the sustain pedal, or the 3 pedal unit ( both of which came with the DGX 630 )

I would still like to use the sustain pedal and the 3 pedal unit with midi. I do realise I can relax the envelope so that all the notes linger longer, but obviously this is not the same effect as a sustain pedal or a 3 pedal unit.

Many thanks again for getting this far.

All the best

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the update.
I’m glad to hear that increasing polyphony helps to get rid of missing notes.

Please specify more in detail what problems you experience to use the 3 pedal unit.

Thanks
Lars

Hi Lars

The problem is the same both for the 3 Pedal unit, as well as the sustain pedal, whichever alternative I use.

Essentially, I can play for a few seconds, or maybe 30 seconds, then suddenly, a chord or note I have played does not make a sound. The next chords or notes I play may well make a sound, then the problem occurs again in a few seconds time. It does not appear to be a specific chord or note, nor does it appear to be a specific time. It is really random. And when I play the recording back on Cubasis, I still do not get the above chords or notes sounding. Equally, those chords or notes do not appear on the visual MIDI track.

All the best

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your message.

Since we’re not equipped with the pedal I’m not able to give it a test drive.
I’ve asked our colleagues from Yamaha if they’re able to provide us with a testing feedback.

Thanks
Lars

Hi Lars

Many thanks for your response

Apologies for not commenting before, but I have a bad chest infection.

As a footnote, I do stress that the single sustain pedal gives the same problem, if you have one of those.

All the best

Steve

Hi Steve,

So far, we’re not able to reproduce the problem at our end.

After re-reading the topic again it looks like you use Cubasis on a first generation iPad mini, which has been released in 2012. A simple reason to the issue could be that your iPad device in use reaches its hardware limits faster compared to newer faster iPad generations.

Best,
Lars

Hi Steve,

Additionally please note that our colleagues from Yamaha have tested the issue with the DGX630 and Cubasis.

Yamaha confirms that there are no issues to use the Yamaha DGX630 keyboard and the associated 3 pedal unit with Cubasis, that are caused by either the Yamaha keyboard or the associated pedal.

Nevertheless it remains valid and is intended behaviour that the chosen polyphony number in Cubasis (located under Setup/Audio/Polyphony) can lead to unplayable notes, once polyphony limits are exceeded.

Best,
Lars