Missing Ports Problem

This is my second post as I posted under the topic Miffed, and then could not delete the post. I realize I did not give enough detail in my first post, so i will try to better explain myself here:

I recorded two songs in Cubase Elements 9.5. Then I upgraded to Windows 10 Creator’s upgrade.

When i fire up Cubase now, I get the following screen that pops up: (See attached screenshot)

OI don’t know what this means and how to solve it.

My audio module is the Steinberg UR44. I have downloaded the most recent firmware and driver for it.

How do I address this missing ports thing?

When you look at the picture , you will notice labels such as:

Floor Mic
Input 4
Y Mixer/Dbl Track
Mixer

etc

These are things that i have plugged into the physical ports on the UR44. For example: I have a microphone whichj I call the Floor Mic plugged into Input 3 on the front of the UR44.

VCan anyone help me figure out what to do?

Thank-you
missingp.JPG

Look at VST connections and see that the I/O ports are defined correctly.

I’ve seen this kind of thing before, usually when starting new projects. It means that something in your device setup has become unglued. It’s a missing, misnamed or unrecognized input buses under audio connections. If you can’t fix things there, go a level deeper. The port names are defined in “VST connections”, which is now known as: Studio > Studio Setup > Devices > VST Audio System > (specific driver for ur44). You have to select the correct driver under “Studio > Studio Setup > Devices > VST Audio System” in order to get the device driver item to appear as an option on the left.

Since the port names depend on the audio device driver, it could be that Cubase was looking the old driver, but didn’t find it because of the driver or OS update. That may also have caused you to lose the renaming of ports that you did to get “Floor Mic” etc…

For the sake of explicit clarity, the chain of dependencies is: (1) Driver software installed (2) Driver found by Cubase. (The OS should have made it accessible.) (3) Correct driver selected in the “ASIO Driver” drop-down box at the top of the right panel of Studio > Studio Setup > Devices > VST Audio System. (4) UR44 specific item appears in the left panel of Studio Setup, right under VST Audio System. Selecting this allows you to see the port names and edit them to match the expected names on your list. Some ports may be marked as inactive, but you can still rename them. They’ll change to active if you use them in… (5) Studio > Audio Connections, which has tabs to define the input buses, output buses, and other buses. You simply add buses here are fill in the table with the device name and port name established earlier. In your case, this part of the chain is most likely fine already. (6) Use the input bus(es) declared under Audio Connections as inputs to audio tracks.

1 Like