Missing Zoom Presets

I was watching a tutorial video on youtube the other day

and noticed at 2:40 the presenter opened the horizontal zoom control menu and most of the presets were missing (Mr. Smith didn’t seem to notice). I remembered that those very presets were (are) also missing on my system (See pg. 60 of the latest Op Man).

Since Updating to 8.0.10, I though I’d recheck, but they’re still missing.

I looked at the RAMVSTPresets.xml both in the intallation folders as well as the Appdata folders and found they were missing in the Appdata version, but included in the Installation version. So I copied the file across (renaming the original), restarted Cubase and they were still missing, plus, the newly copied file suddenly had a smaller filesize (= to the original) and when opened found the presets had been deleted from the xml file.
:question:
So I was wondering how many users are missing these presets in C8.0.5 or C8.0.10, and did you update or install the ISO for 8.0.5 (prior to 8.0.10 update)?

Really? No one can confirm?

Bump

Anyone have the same issue?

ok, you’ve suffered enough, felt like you left a cliff hanger. Mystery of the missing zoom presets! looks like a job for Kojak
and yes it is the same on mine - no presets. maybe…a little lesson from steinberg - make your own presets damn it, (lets see if the moaners figure this one out)!!!

seriously though, they were useful, but i think my work flow has taken another route since C8 so didn’t notice much

Thanks for the comeback. One question, did you update i.e. with the smaller download, or did you use the larger ISO full install?

smaller download

OK I can confirm – the horizontal (time) zoom is not the one I use the most though, and the vertical zoom is OK. I updated using the smaller download. On 8.0.20 now and they’re still missing.

Thanks for the feedbacks, this seems to be an issue pertaining to updating with the smaller DLD then.
I’ll check again after 8.0.20.

I also encountered this after purchasing a new PC and installing Cubase 8.5 from scratch with updates enabled, thus making it 8.5.1

What baffles me is that I cannot find any files pertaining to zoom presets. They have to be stored somewhere?!

Confirmed that in 8.5.10 the only horizontal presets are full and to locators. Easily worked around though, using the overview? Also, now a click and vertical drag on the ruler zooms in/out, which some people hate, but I love it because I’m used to it from WaveLab.

According to knowledgebase info at https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/cubase-and-nuendo-program-preferences-files-in-detail/ zoom presets are contained in \Presets\RAMPresets.xml

I looked in an old copy for Cubase 6 - Sure enough, I found the old presets in the code. But I can’t find any instructions on what to do with them. I could copy the lines and paste them into the RAMPresets.xml file for the 8.5 installation I’m using, but I’m scared I’ll screw it up. How do I know if I’m putting them in the right section of the code?

Got it!

First, with a project open, I created a dummy zoom preset (doesn’t matter what the zoom factor is, just give it a unique name, I called it “tempKK”), then closed Cubase. (Note: evidently, changes to the presets do not actually get written to the XML file until Cubase is closed, at least that’s what happened on my system).

Then I opened RAMPresets.xml with notepad, and did a search (Ctrl-F) for “tempKK”. I found this section of code:

<list name="Items" type="obj">
                  <obj class="FPreset" ID="658622992">
                     <string name="Name" value="tempkkk" wide="true"/>
                     <member name="Object">
                        <float name="Zoom Factor" value="0.25275236780754667"/>
                     </member>
                     <int name="Unrenamed" value="1"/>
                  </obj>
               </list>

and replaced it with the these lines from my old list:

<list name="Presets" type="list">
                  <item>
                     <string name="Name" value="~6 minutes" wide="true"/>
                     <member name="Object">
                        <float name="Zoom Factor" value="0.55962049961090088"/>
                     </member>
                  </item>
                  <item>
                     <string name="Name" value="~1 minute" wide="true"/>
                     <member name="Object">
                        <float name="Zoom Factor" value="0.10077371448278427"/>
                     </member>
                  </item>
                  <item>
                     <string name="Name" value="~30 seconds" wide="true"/>
                     <member name="Object">
                        <float name="Zoom Factor" value="0.046263042837381363"/>
                     </member>
                  </item>
                  <item>
                     <string name="Name" value="~10 seconds" wide="true"/>
                     <member name="Object">
                        <float name="Zoom Factor" value="0.015332357957959175"/>
                     </member>
                  </item>
                  <item>
                     <string name="Name" value="~3 seconds" wide="true"/>
                     <member name="Object">
                        <float name="Zoom Factor" value="0.0047794175334274769"/>
                     </member>
                  </item>
                  <item>
                     <string name="Name" value="~1 second" wide="true"/>
                     <member name="Object">
                        <float name="Zoom Factor" value="0.0016678598476573825"/>
                     </member>
                  </item>
                  <item>
                     <string name="Name" value="~200 ms" wide="true"/>
                     <member name="Object">
                        <float name="Zoom Factor" value="0.00036527018528431654"/>
                     </member>
                  </item>
                  <item>
                     <string name="Name" value="~30 ms" wide="true"/>
                     <member name="Object">
                        <float name="Zoom Factor" value="4.8153884563362226e-005"/>
                     </member>
                  </item>
                  <item>
                     <string name="Name" value="~10 ms" wide="true"/>
                     <member name="Object">
                        <float name="Zoom Factor" value="1.6573909306316637e-005"/>
                     </member>
                  </item>
                  <item>
                     <string name="Name" value="~5 ms" wide="true"/>
                     <member name="Object">
                        <float name="Zoom Factor" value="8.0800382420420647e-006"/>
                     </member>
                  </item>
                  <item>
                     <string name="Name" value="~1 ms" wide="true"/>
                     <member name="Object">
                        <float name="Zoom Factor" value="1.7523874475955381e-006"/>
                     </member>
                  </item>
                  <item>
                     <string name="Name" value="half-sec" wide="true"/>
                     <member name="Object">
                        <float name="Zoom Factor" value="0.00049451162340119481"/>
                     </member>
                     <int name="Unrenamed" value="1"/>
                  </item>
                  <item>
                     <string name="Name" value="~3 minutes" wide="true"/>
                     <member name="Object">
                        <float name="Zoom Factor" value="0.21857455372810364"/>
                     </member>
                  </item>
               </list>

Ta-da, all me presets are restored!

I don’t know why the newer XML file used “obj” rather than “item” for its list items, but it seems to work with the older code inserted. (I’ll report back here if it seems to cause any problems down the road)

Good research and thanks for this!

I compared the RAMPresets.xml in my %APPDATA%\Steinberg\Cubase 8.5_64\Presets folder with that found in %PROGRAMFILES%\Steinberg\Cubase\Presets and noticed there appears to be an extra line under the item MAudioPartEditControllerZoom, so I see e.g.

<string name="ID" value="MAudioPartEditControllerZoom" wide="true"/>
<string name="Name" value="MAudioPartEditControllerZoom" wide="true"/>

With Cubase closed, I commented out the second line, so:

<string name="ID" value="MAudioPartEditControllerZoom" wide="true"/>
<!-- <string name="Name" value="MAudioPartEditControllerZoom" wide="true"/> -->

(a comment in XML is between the “” bits)

I restarted Cubase and all the presets were back! No idea why, but it worked.