Mistaken deletion of barlines

On several occasions I have meant to delete a note but mistakenly highlighted (and deleted) an adjacent barline as well. When you’re working on a big score under deadline this is very easy to overlook.

Is there anything available in the current release to either detect and / or prevent this situation?

No, there’s no way to turn off this ability at present.

I’ve done this a few times too.
Ctrl-Z. :wink:

That’s a little hard to do when you notice it on the printed score 5 days later. . . :blush:

This needs a new feature. My preference would be for a new Preference that would

• dis-allow deleting barlines (or give you an alert)
    AND/OR
  • highlight any bars in which the # of beats does not match the time signature

I do like the idea of having that as an option. It makes sense if you’re working in a metrically predictable context. I know I certainly always am.

Dorico already gives you a warning - a red time signature signpost to let you know that the time signature of the previous bar doesn’t match what’s on the page.
It’s your choice as to whether you work with signposts visible or hidden, obviously…

That’s true - but when you’re immersed in composing it’s just not obvious enough. Well, at least it’s not obvious to me . . . . :slight_smile:

There are very few areas where Dorico gives explicit warnings - I can’t actually think of any apart from some deletions in Setup mode.

My feeling is that the onus is on the user to proof properly. Signposts help!

But there are many ways in which Dorico helpfully prevents the user from doing things that are incorrect, and this could be one of them. Not a warning, but a setting in Notation Options, perhaps. A checkbox for “Allow deletion of barlines.”

Yes, if the top staff is at the top of the screen. But, if you are working down in the string section, you may not see the signpost.

Interesting though, if you just delete the bar line, the view will move to the top and you see the sign post.
But, if you delete the bar and an adjacent note (or slur, dynamic, etc…) too, the view doesn’t move to the top, and you don’t catch the signpost.
And, if the bar is at the extreme left or right, you won’t notice the adjacent measure is messed up when the system redraws.
I suspect this is what happened to the OP.

BTW, it is easy to do this when you are proofing the sound. Check this workflow :

1. Highlight a bar
  2. Hit P for playback
  3. Hear a note you don’t like, hit P to stop
  4. ctrl-click on the bad note (ctrl was an accident here)
  5. hit delete.
    uh-oh. your next keystroke will be ctrl-Z !

Yes, I would like this. I branched off a new topic for these “safety restraints” features in general.

Thx,

shr23, I can’t fathom how you would accidentally Ctrl+click something. It requires a hand that shouldn’t be anywhere near the Ctrl key.

c’est la vie :slight_smile:

I’m always cherry picking notes (ctrl-clk) to add articulations, transpose them, etc…
I also use alot of different software packages where ctrl/shft click is a common manipulation.
you get distracted sometime; and my left hand is always near the ctrl-key (PC)

It was simply a demonstration of how the signpost warning wouldn’t help.

One good thing about Dorico is it doesn’t allow you to lasso the bar line when you are grabbing notes. That would be a disaster.
I’ve gotten used to shift clicking the time signatures changes after so they don’t get deleted.

You have a short memory - it used to be possible to lasso barlines…

shr23 joined the forum just a few months ago. Not sure when that functionality changed.

That’s a fair point - it turns out it was Dorico 1.0.10. Funny that I can’t remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, but I can remember a time when it was all too easy to delete barlines in Dorico.