Mix and FX bus in UR242

Hello,

New to Cubase 10, I am using an UR242 with driver v 1.10.3 on windows 10.

I would like to understand what are these Mix and FX Bus generated by Cubase in the Yamaha Steinberg USB asio setting panel ?.
How to use them correctly.

Why sometime the FX Bus is active and why sometime it is inactive ?

Thanks for help, I can’t find any Steinberg documentation .

CS

Yes, me too; I’ve just bought a UR242.

Edit: just found this thread:

1 Like

Thanks, I had already understood this.
I don’t use the FX bus for guitar as I am using my H&K amp’s DI box and the amp effects.
So I always disable the signal sent to FX bus in harware settings.
May be someday I will find time to test the on boaard guitar amp emulations.
But on voice the on board reverb could be interesting when you use many additionnal effects loading the CPU, that’s not my case.
Anyway the UR242 documentation is not good, especially for a cubase usage.

Google is your friend, took 3 seconds to find:

Yes, that video is linked from the thread I posted the link to, above.

I’ve seen this but sorry Google is not totally a friend :wink:
And Greg was not totally clear on FX bus … this feature has several usages : one is direct modification of input signal (the one we set in the HARDWARE screen for the input channel) an another (mostly as an effect loop on an amp) with a send and return.
Lot of missing infos:

1. on the HARDWARE setting for URxxx you have 2 output channels where you could select either only one, either the two: when you use the two you must setup a path to use the FX one and manage it to your output. This is not explained.
  2. Greg speaks only about Reverb but there are other effects
  3. could the onbard be overrun by an intensive usage of the Fx bus as in its saxo example, what is the limit ?

Ok, so a few terminology things are throwing me about what you are asking.

1. The HARDWARE screen for the input channel is a Input Channel strip (not FX bus, though it can route there). You can choose to have the DAW record either the dry input, or later stages in the channel strip. You will always monitor the tail end of the channel strip with ASIO Direct Monitoring turned on. That way you get zero latency monitoring (which is why I bought this beast at the time as it was the best bang for buck then with DSP Fx).
  2. Yep, the UR44 channel strip can do EQ, compression, reverb and Guitar FX. and you can have returns go to the FX bus.
  3. No that I know of, the UR44 DSP Fx only support certain configurations of FX and can perform those real time, so you can’t overload it.

I think that what is especially not easy to understand is ‘what’ you do with Fx bus (vs Mix Bus).
On the hardware screen as you say there are 3 choices : only dry signal, only modified by on-board effects signal, mix of dry and modified.
According the picture, there are 2 ‘flows’ represented by the 2 arrows on the bottom.
Clicking on the 3 position selector allow choosing the desired configuration.
But as I only uses the first option (removing any effect), I am not sure of the usage of the 2 others, especially the 3rd and its 2 ‘flows’.
My understanding was that one is the ‘normal and dry signal’ which we get as input on our audio channel (guitare or mic for me) and the second the FX bus that we can use a input in another unclear way.
Do you use this last option ? I would appreciate more precision ?

Try this one:

Hi, thanks but no answer to my previous questions ???
According this video you can only use the URXXX Channel Strip for monitoring !!!
What’s that, I already recorded Voice with my UR242 on board reverb …
Youtube not totally a friend sometimes…

That isn’t what the video says. Monitoring is one option…
I already answered your previous queries as best I could, and there is a diagram in the UR44 manual that clearly shows the available signal flows.
Your questions are not making enough sense to me to determine what is misunderstood, so i didn’t answer. I cannot help you.

That’s clear that if you can’t understand what I am saying … :slight_smile:
Thanks for having tried something even when not understanding.