MIX Console Visibility agent - Show Connected doesnt show all

Im wondering if that has been resolved in C13 as well but

I have a hybrid Brauer sub bussing at the end of the mix
The template goes like this

Main - Tracking Channel > Tracks Subgroup>Brauer Subgrouping>Master
Sends - Group send > Parallel Comp> Tracks subgroup
Nothing special but when I select show connected so I can debug path compression etc, it only shows the track subgroup but the final busses are missing?

Is there some trick to force the deeper heirarchy?

What it looks like for show connected

What it should show?

Hi,

Show the Output busses.

If you provide the whole window screenshot, we would know more and we could help better.

Hi @Martin.Jirsak
Not sure what you mean
It is showing all the connected busses in the 2nd pic?
Or do you mean all the Brauer busses?

Might help if I explain the overview, where it fits, and why its an issue.

My workflow its based on focus modes

In an acoustic/general template, all channels are grouped logically in a folder by type into 7 channels + a parallel comp track into the Subgroup. This is so as to finalise mixes with top down on the subgroups but also provide hybrid coverage of bottom up AND top down according to context. (also corresponds to the mixer bank/faders etc)

All the busses use the ‘>’ character in the naming as a way of jumping in dense mixes at any moment

Where as the folder/subgroup is mainly concerned with eq/masking and general depth of field for top down, the ‘Brauer’ buss (for reference as they arent used in the same way) are for groups of transient and frequency. eg the sub 100 is never compressed with the rest of any of the mix, just a little as a sidechain to other groups if needed. The provides ‘contour or "Edge sharpen/blur’ for the graphic paradigm

This forms 7 basic folders in overview mode

This is then controlled for next level of focus by the channel visibility configurations as well as scrolling functions,

allowing scope on only the channels and output for that group and manages the same on the mix console

The final focus is a temporary mode where eg I often have to make vocal and acoustic guitar work together etc so I will individually set this and its assigned to preset 1.

so for the rest of the workflow, I need to be able to select a track and have the ‘show connected’ actually show what it says and not stop at 1 level (which it seems to do) but show the path from channel to master buss as this is mostly needed for quick troubleshooting…but it just doesnt seem to be working

This is what I have to manually set up everytime because the function seems broken

You can see clearly here, I select the classical guitar and the sub group notes its sent to the C buss but its not showing

HTH and sorry for the novel :slight_smile:

@Martin.Jirsak does that make sense? To test just create multiple downstream routes…unless Im missing something

Could someone confirm the issue please?

I’ve read this a few times now and I have to admit I’m really struggling keeping track of what you’re doing and what’s going to which destinations. The names are hard to keep track of.

I think you would be better off if you simply renamed things so that they were easy to track, and/or even better set up a procedure for us to reproduce the problem you’re running into with step-by-step instructions on how to do it.

I’d love to help and check this but I don’t even know where to start.

Cheers for the reply
Its as simple as this
If a track is routed a buss, then the ‘show connected’ works as expected (as far as I can see)
If a track has a cascade ie more than 1 output buss in serial, it only shows the first output…which is unfortunately not great.

It is super hard to explain the above so I dont blame you but once the system is in place its incredibly flexible and easy to use. I was asked for extra info so it includes the workflow…but yeah ill leave it at that.

Thanks

Ah, ok. I see now. Only one level up/down is shown. Got it.

I’d say start a new thread and call it something that describes what you want to see and mark it “feature request”. I agree it would be good to have.

This might make it easier too

It only shows the mid row of channels ie 1 down

I try to show just the essence of the situation:

We have three channels. Level 1 is routed to Level 2, which then is routed to Level 3.

If we select channel “Level 3” and perform the function
grafik
this is the result:

Basically Cubase displays any channel whose Output Routing field matches exactly the name of the selected channel
grafik

Now @Aurasphere would like to have a function that shows all channels that are part of the signal path of the audio.
Sounds useful to me, but also sounds like a feature-request to me and not a bug.

@Johnny_Moneto
Yeah I guess the first thing was deciphering “connected to”…which is, as you say, actually, assigned as the first level of connection…just making sure as I had ‘assumed’ (siltation I guess) that it meant the path of all connected to the target channel. Probably as I was really focused on a standard kind of workflow (the brauer things is quite common now).

So its not a bug…just a little ambiguous (well to me anyway)

Thanks for adding the detail…would seem its a feature request

1. Show Connected - direct
  2. Show Connected - Full Path

Ill make a feature request out of it now.

Thanks to all who contributed

Cubase already has something similiar, just for the other direction.
If I select the Level 1 channel in the channel settings, Cubase can show me the signal path to the end.

Now we just need that in reverse (from the end towards the origin of the signal) in the MixConsole.

Ok well you have confirmed there is corruption in my setup.
I often get glitchy mixer setups and have had to rebuild templates as tracks go missing.
So this was the point of the OP. When I
1.Select track 1 as you have done,
2. Execute show connected

It only shows the first level of connection and the rest of the channels do not show up

This is what I detailed in my very first post in this thread

BUT

Your picture showing the channel edit dialog? Yes?

I never work in that except for send panning…and I never use native DAW eq etc whether its Live or Cubase (I did a long post on it…hard to forgive the loss of SX Multiband Comp lol).
I just want the mix console to run it, as you would normally do. I have parameters set up even with insert with only a couple of knobs and generally try not to look when Im mixing, just listen

For trouble shooting, Im not interested in drilling into the edit box and conversely; it should be obvious in the most central place; if its in the edit box as an option, then where/why is the equivalent not in the mix console, the logical place for it?

It just needs the mix console to work the same was as it does in the edit box

Why are the ‘show connected’ different?

Well, the obvious reason is that nobody programmed this yet.
The other thing to consider: In the channel settings window we start with one channel. This channel then leads us to another one channel, and another one channel and so on. There is one channel for every level of depth.
If we do the reverse as per your request we could end up with hundereds of channels as a group channel usually has more than one channel conncted to it. It branches out like a tree.

Still, there should be a technical possibility to do this, I assume. But, as usual, development resources are limited and this request will compete with other requests and Steinberg’s own ideas.