mixer not working as expected

Hi,

I’m having trouble with the mixer not working as it should.

I have 2 copies of the same project (an older, out-of-date version and the current version that I’m working on). The mixer works correctly on the older version but not the new.

During playback of the newer file only the first channel and the Output channel show movement in the green channel meter. I can hear all instruments, most of them show no channel meter movement. And when I use the volume slider or mute button on the first channel it affects the volume of all instruments - as if it’s another master output mixer. The output channel controller seems to work ok, but the reverb mixer is not working.

I’ve attached some images: mixer, Halion, and endpoints.

Does anyone know how to fix, or reset? Is there a trouble-shooting video or blog post I can work through? I’m struggling to find anything.

Thanks,
Steve

Yes, the output assignment of HALion got messed up. Not a problem of Dorico but of HALion. HALion has 16 virtual output, one for each of the 16 slots, but now all your slots are set up to play out via the first output. Open the HALion GUI and on the Mixer Tab on the right side it says Main now for all slots. Change that accordingly to the slot number.

Thanks Ulf - that’s done the trick!

I have a problem with the Dorico Mixer routing the viola and cello into the violin 1 and 2 channel. These are all set up in Opus Strings on Midi channels 1 to 5 - likewise in Dorico channel setup. So audio wise i have a solo violin set to ouputs 1&2 in Opus player. Ensemble Vl 1&2 set to opus 3 & 4. Viola and Celli set to Opus 5&6. So viola and Celli. Won’t route to 5 &6. Images and Dorico file enclosed . Many thanks for any help. Have checked Opus mixer etc and that seems routed ok. Will try and post images and file
channelplayback_problem4

Windows 10
Dorico 4.3
EW Opus Hollywood Orchestra

Hi @nomisllewdor, the thing is, Dorico does not know anything about the internal routing of Opus. It just knows that 5 players come from Opus, so Dorico allocates 5 channels in it’s own mixer for it and connects them one on one with Opus, that is Opus Out 1&2 to Dorico channel 1, Opus Out 3&4 to Dorico channel 2, until Opus Out 9&10 to Dorico channel 5. When you change the internal routing of Opus to other than what Dorico assumes, Dorico does not get notified or can not query it.
Do you get my point?

Thanks Ulf yes i understand what you are saying and have read about difficulties others have had e.g with Kontakt. I’ll have a further play around with settings today and report back. Yes i can see Dorico will bring opus stereo pair outputs back in as single Dorico channels - but if i do assign opus 9 & 10 to Dorico’s no 5 mixer channel I fancy i will still get no signal through that mixer channel. Certainly the adjustment is more likely to be needed at the Opus end rather than the Dorico. I dare say comparing what goes on with HSE/Halion might also be instructive. Many thanks for your help so far anyway.

An interesting day testing out why Dorico distributes the stereo pairs from Opus as it does in the mixer. I managed to get solo violin and quartet functioning with the correct meter signals showing on the appropriate Dorico mixer channels. The temporary solution was to put a legato slur in on each string part at the beginning which renders the part mono as far as i can see which means dorico sees a single signal and gives each channel to a single instrument.

I’m still not certain this is absokutely what happens but playing with stereo/mono switches in opus instances had no effect on the Dorico mixers misplacement of signals. Further testing needed tomorrow but I’m glad to have got this far. Wondering if i switched the Opus player stereo/ mono switch to signal from the left I might duplicate the old hardware synth situation where the left jack input alone was always mono. So far though the opus player stere/mono switch did nothing to solve the problem but the legato slurs did :grin:. The problem incidentally occurs for me with key switch opus string *.oib instruments and is complicated further by the fact i am trying to convert cubase expression maps for use in Dorico. So plenty of complicating activities. Anyway shot below showing all is good …for now :grin:

Good afternoon!

Opus doesn’t do mono for legato - at least not in the way you mean it here. Some Opus legato patches are monophonic in the sense of not playing more than one note at a time, but are still stereo in their output of each note.

Which makes me suggest that you remove the maps for now. They are powerful enough to cause ( or appear to cause) some unexpected results, especially when you have somewhat similar sounding patches on different channels in the same vst. I can’t be the only person who has sent notes to weird places unintended :confused:.

Yup good point about the mono nature of the legato. Thanks for it. I was suprised myself that that improved things. I’m wrking with my test file more today to see if i can track it down futher. I noted from another post that some use the VSL ensemble pro 7 as a overall plug in manager. I’m gonna try the evaluation of this although in my case it may be a sledgehammer to crack a nut :grin: