Modern cubase

The problem with your post Ehabmxd is that you seem to misunderstand the essential nature of Cubase. It is not Ableton and does not try to compete with the live functionality and on the fly mixing etc. That is not what Cubase is. Ableton cannot do a lot of the more complex stuff that Cubase can do. That is why Ableton exists. If Cubase started to include a lot of the stuff that Logic has been adding there would be considerable disquiet amongst this community. Cubase is a mature DAW that handles live recording as well as midi instruments better that it’s main competitors.

The main issue with Cubase is that too many bugs have gone unsolved for too long. You are right about Hi Def screens and video. However, I for one rely upon the feature set that Cubase has developed over the years. The editing in Cubase is second to none as are the ways you can process sound, as well as a sophisticated mixer section to organise those sounds. The whole idea of competition is that people come up with systems that suit certain clients. Some people want a pickup truck and some a BMW. Don’t expect a good DAW to change to the detriment of it’s main functionality.

The problem in my case was that i already had elements as i got AI with a Yamaha MODX and upgraded, but even at that point coming from Logic i wanted to know how variaudio performed, sidechaining worked, how efficient the comping was AND i was unable to set MIDI IN Channels per track without the MIDI FX (Found in dongled versions).

4 Critical elements i was unable to try.

For me, Vocal comping is a core component of any DAW, and being able to pick a MIDI Channel input also should be a basic requirement for any MIDI capable sequencer. Paying for the privilege to demo these items seems morally wrong to me, and i can’t be the only one who has this view when considering moving to Cubase.

If it weren’t for the crossgrade promotion i wouldn’t be here. But now that i am, i really love it! :slight_smile:

Yes, good points. I suppose for a new DAW user these features might not be on a hot list, but may become important after using it for a while. However in your case, as an experienced DAW user, you are forced to purchase a dongle to demo the Pro version that contains these features. I would think that’s a Steinberg marketing deficiency, and would guess or at least hope they recognize some potential lost customers.

My guess is someday the dongle will be history, but not until Cubase 100% secure…at it has been for many years.

I always want to hear the music of people that requesting things like these. Because really often such people that state a lack of some functionality actually just looking for excuses for why they suck. On the other hand there is Noisia that pushed the boundaries of electronic music with Cubase 5 so far, that even now just a few people crossed it.

This.

Paying for the privilege to demo these items seems morally wrong to me, and i can’t be the only one who has this view when considering moving to Cubase.

I’ve used Cubase from the beginning and had many problems with dongle malfunctions. I hesitated to upgrade (finally went from v3 to 10), mainly as I couldn’t try before purchasing a dongle, and the local stores couldn’t source and provide one cheaply and quickly. We’re talking big city stores here: fully stocked in every other product/manufacturer, so the red flag for me was that maybe the company was on the decline.

The distributors weren’t too helpful, suggesting I use Elements (Scoring is a priority for me, so it needed to be Pro), and Steinberg seemed to confirm my red flag by not answering my emails, so I spent a couple of years procrastinating.

I’ve (mostly) not regretted the upgrade, although it’s frustrating to note features that are less well implemented (in my opinion) in the newer version, compared to the old, but there’s no point dwelling on that.

That sort of contradict the hole idea and history of cubase. In the beginning cubase was a hub of where you connected your synths etc. Then they added more and more virtual technology so that you did not need all that gear. You can still use all the old gear. Doing a transition back and start to build dedicated hardware for various functions it turning the clock back. For sure there is a lot of things needed to be fixed in cubase. Off-loading it to special build hardware it not one of them. If someone would like to integrate their hardware they can use ASIO or VST interfaces. What cubase need is modernisation for modern computer technologies. Apple is rumoured to switch to ARM architecture. If the are to out perform there current mac pro in cpu power they will need to have about 256 cores. A mac book pro might have 32 core. (And it will not beat a 8core AMD ryzen mobile, but they are at in the same league)
Moving to modern OS is also needed, performance computing today is done on linux.

Yeah it’s not just modern CPU’s of course, MIDI 2.0 is also on the horizon for DAWs which affects connectivity somewhat also, of which Yamaha are prominent members (MMA/AMEI etc). So there will be changes in the hardware interaction soon you’d expect as Cubase AI is partnered with much Yamaha hardware.

As you say, Cubase came through the early MIDI sequencer days used for hosting external hardware, as a result so much is still incorporated into the whole VST infrastructure. It will be interesting how that changes a DAW like Cubase which still uses so many references to Midi CC (0-127) controls.

I can’t think of many DAWs that allows you to set up MIDI LFO’s to map (via Midi CC’s) to plugins, that really does show you it’s deep history. A Modern DAW would go direct via automation.

Why do so many of you attack
Don’t you want the program to evolve?
These are suggestions for new releases
It is not excuses
These are suggestions to make the program better
Imagine adding these features that I expect most programs will support
-networking for vst - vsti
support full hidpi mode
multitouch
ioc pro for android
and other features