Modifiy the octava sign?

A publisher is asking me to change the octava sign using their proprietry font. Would this be possible in any way?

Thanks

Sure, just make the edit in Engrave/Music Symbols/Octave Lines:

1 Like

I’m able to change the “8” to the same kind with one from Minion Pro. But I’m not able to modify the left & right parenthesis and have them line up with the “8” and the following dotted line.

Has anyone ever successfully changed the octava font like this?

Thanks

Are you using the same font and size for the parentheses to be used with the octave indicator? Provided they’re set in the same font and size, in theory Dorico should be able to draw them as a single run of text, which should then use the appropriate kerning pairs etc.

1 Like

Thanks for chiming in Daniel. I don’t see how to choose the size to be honest. In the Edit symbols, it seems the parenthesis are separate from the “8”, and then put togeather for octava continuations on the following system?

Did you edit the parentheses to use the same font as the 8?

Jesper

1 Like

Thanks for all the ideas,

The publisher would accept the current octave sign if it were just a little smaller. In adjusting the percentage controls, seems there’s no way to just make it smaller?

In changing out the “8” with the “8” of another font, the continuation isn’t yet working…

You should be able to change the Scale of the symbol in the Editor.

1 Like

Strangly for the scale, that doesn’t seem to have any incidense on the size, at least on screen.

I did finally change out the “8”, “(” & “)” with Minion pro, and now all seems to line up !!!

The reason is that both the X and Y axes need to be the same value when it applies to scale, otherwise the glyph wont change:
xy scale 2

1 Like

I tried X & Y Scales both being 90 or 70, and it does make the symbol smaller inside the editor, but once back in the music, the size has’t changed!

Unfortunately the scale of the octave sign symbol is ignored because the sign ends up being rendered as text rather than directly using the symbol. I don’t think there’s a good way to achieve exactly what you want at present: the closest is probably to slightly scale down the octave line using the Custom scale property, though this will also scale down the line as well as the indication at the start of the line by the same amount.

1 Like