Modular synthesizer setup notation

Hi Folks,

Loving Dorico so far, really revolutionary … so the project I’m working on includes synthesizer and in addition to the music I’d like to notate the synth settings. There’s a proposal for a modular synth notation system which I like at PatchAndTweak.com. These are available in a bunch of PNG’s which can be inserted in the score.

vca.png
mixer.png
In practice you use them in a block diagram like this

Dorico has graphics frames but it might be cumbersome for this. Any thoughts, and has anybody done this?

I tried three different browsers and none of them displayed your linked page properly. Not a good start.

Isn’t this just a graphic image so far as Dorico is concerned? If you want to attach it to a particular place in the score, you can make it into a (very large?) playing technique…

Sorry, I just checked again and it’s correct - Free-to-use Patch Symbols

If there’s some odd configuration you can do a google search for “Patch and Tweak” and find it. That’s an excellent book too by the way if you work with modular.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=patch+and+tweak&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Isn’t this just a graphic image so far as Dorico is concerned? If you want to attach it to a particular place in the score, you can make it into a (very large?) playing technique…

Yes exactly, but I imagine this can get ugly as there’s a lot of graphics, just wondering if anybody has gone down the road and if Dorico can handle it (e.g. bug free), and any tips.

If you have Fontlab or similar, you could turn them into a font.

Jesper

This doesn’t look “correct” to me, in MS Edge and Firefox. (Internet Explorer gets it differently wrong)

If you have a lot of graphics that make a page look bad, you first need to solve the graphic design problem of how to lay out the pages so they look less bad.

If you attach a mockup of what you want to achieve, it would be easier to think how best to do it in Dorico.

One can scale symbols in the symbol editor to a desired size.

Thanks for the help guys. Follow up to this, Rob’s idea of making it a playing technique works great, here’s a simple triangle wave into a bandpass vcf
patch.png
It’s ugly, I made a custom line which needs work. Some tips for

• Import SVG graphics for scalability
  • Add them as playing techniques, under Keyboard, named “synth MODULAR WHICH” e.g. “synth vcf bandpass”
  • This will take some time to do. For those above I scaled to 15, and then offset to 7.5 (half) which looks about right
  • Make a custom horizontal line, or use existing, doesn’t matter much
  • When writing just add all the elements as playing techniques, along with connectors. You’ll get a mess of items
  • Go into Engrave mode, click the top option (the note adjust), then click your elements and move them around into a block diagram you want

This editor and capability is amazing, but it would be nifty if I could tweak it a little bit (e.g. thicken). Otherwise these stock features can do some amazing things. I’m a notatation guy, most synthesists do some stream of consciousness thing but this needs to be more deliberate.

Thanks folks, amazing forum!