Monitor defeat

Wondering if there’s any way to defeat the monitor switch on a selected audio channel, just like the solo defeat works? That way, even if you went to Tapemachine Style audio monitoring in preferences, the audio monitoring would stay on for a certain track, even when you hit play.

What I’m trying to achieve is having an audio track dedicated for a click track, that I can automate for fades where I’d like. So, I have a loopback function set up in my RME card, so the audio click feeds back to an audio track that I’d like to be able to hear all the time. That way I can fade the track when I need to…so the click doesn’t bleed into my microphones from my headphones.

So automate fades, no need for anything special. :confused:

Like I said, doesn’t work in Tapemachine style monitoring. I want to try and avoid having to lay out an audio part on the audio track on each cue I do…having the audio click from CB feeding the track directly saves a bit of time and will change automatically when I change time signatures…, but if that’s the only way to do it, so be it.

There are ways to do exactly what you want, a couple of them.

Please, explain them

Garehead, don’t waste your time with this clown. He’s just toying with you as he does in all his other posts…not sure why the mods haven’t banned his IP as he posts under several logins. He’s pretty active today…the NAMBLA website must be down.

PM me your address so we can continue this face to face.

he-he…Tx SuStudio. Any suggestions from anyone else appreciated.

Sorry Garehead, our resident, pederastic-troll had attempted to hijack another thread and distracted my earlier reply to you. What I’ve done for similar situations as yours is to create a dedicated audio track of the click and then either control the volume by recording the fader movement (automation) or in real-time with a remoter controller…I use an expression pedal assigned to volume control connected to my DAW controller. Of course a good set of cans should prevent any bleed unless your hearing is compromised…in that case a different sound for your click (woodblock, clave, etc.) might be a better solution.

I don’t quite get what needs to be done here…

This is what I got so far:

1. You want to use some imported audio as a click track
  2. You want to control the volume of that track
  3. You want to be able to hear it in some places, but not others

1 and 2 are rightly figured out, and 3 is a control room thing… doesn’t seem like a problem. Will a hardware controller for volume work, or is there some special requirement up there I missed?

EDIT: whoop, I’m too slow

oh man…its like fighting a human virus… SuStudio, so glad you gave me a heads up before I was communicating with him/her via email.

Thanks, your solution is what I’ve been doing up to this point. Creating an audio track of recorded clicks and automating…but when you solo certain tracks you want to record other audio for, you have to go and solo your click track as well. Bit of a time waster but not a huge problem when I’m at my main desk with my 30" screen… but when I’m recording my piano or other instruments remotely, I use my MacbookPro with share screen to control my system, and turning the click on and off on a smaller screen for listening purposes becomes a pain. Also, to save time on each cue, it would be great if I could have an audio track that has the CB audio-click playing through it, without having to actually record a click on the track throughout the whole cue. I can do this by using a Loopback function in my RME Totalmix software (great feature) but again, if I solo tracks, I have to solo the click as well. If I could keep the click track’s monitor button on, , when I’m in Tapemachine mode when recording live instruments, the problem would be solved. Feature request? Will take quite a while, no doubt. I’m always looking for ways to shave time off the process. I’m scoring TV and there’s not a lot of time. :frowning:

Plasuma, I hope this helps explain what I’m trying to do.

Lol! Yeah, you’re right about that virus thing. This guy is beyond pathetic and I really feel for anybody who deals with this maggot on a regular basis…hopefully his ankle-bracelet gets full bars when transmitting.

I do remote recording myself and found the MBP remote screen method useless. I’ve been using Cubase IC Pro lately and it’s far superior. If you have a supported device, it’s worth a look.

but when you solo certain tracks you want to record other audio for, you have to go and solo your click track as well.

Perhaps activating the Solo Defeat function on the click track channel will do the trick. OptionClick the solo button on that track. The button turns orange with a D replacing the S. When you solo any other track(s), this track will remain on.

As long as the track is not being record enabled, activating the input monitor for not record enabled tracks manually will keep it activated during playback, even with tapemachine style monitoring enabled.

The independent track loop might be useful here

Waiting for the PM.

thanks again S, I’ll definitely look into Cubase IC Pro. Time to streamline remote recording.

Thinkingcap…thanks for the tip. Didn’t realize the input monitor stays on in Tapemachine mode…great!.
How does the independent loopback function work? Can’t seem to find that in the manual.

Thanks, Weasel, I was trying to use the solo defeat as well, but now it does work in conjunction with keeping the monitor button on at all times…works like a charm.

Thanks for all your help…

Probably because, as i wrote already, it’ s called “independent track loop” , not “independent loopback”
Basically you can loop any range of any track - for example 1 bar of metronome audio file - throughout your whole project

Yes, my mistake T…since things are working for me now, all is good. But, I didn’t know about that feature and I’m glad I do now. Must…read…manual…