Mono montage?

Hi all!

I’ve been using WaveLab since the late '90s but only recently had to think about delivering mono podcast files. My thought is to create a mono montage so I can work in mono from start to finish with 3 mono tracks, music bed, intro/outro voice over, and dialogue. This way I can set up a template. The closest thing I’ve found so far is to set up a custom audio montage, mode: multichannel dvd-audio compatible, channel: mono, sample rate: 48k. This is what I’m playing with so far, and what I’m seeing is the level meter showing left output only, but audio output is to both L/R monitors.

Is this the right approach? Am I missing something?

Hi!

Create a Mono Montage but not in Multi Channel format
take the Stereo version as an example and create new tracks in mono
delete the first Stereo track
I think that could work

Ps. Could we have a Montage with 2 Mono track as a Template !?

thanks

regards S-EH

Yes, the DVD-Audio mode is the only strict way of doing this, even if it involves no DVD Audio stuff.
This being said, mono montages are not the most used/tested montage.
I would rather recommend a normal stereo montage, even if you only use a mono track, and when rendering, just render to a mono file.

In WaveLab 11, mono montage should be possible without going through the DVD Audio path.

Many thanks, Philippe! If you need a tester I’m your guy :slight_smile:

The normal stereo montage route has been my go-to, and when I need to listen in mono I use my monitor console to check the mix in mono, phase, etc.

Also, thank you for WaveLab and all of the innovations over the years, great stuff!

Please describe a bit more what you do about podcasts.

Whilst I use WL 99.99% of the time for music mastering, I recently did a ton of work (All the voices) for a computer game.
(like 2750 files per language in 7 languages)

I used WL in mono for this, montages for matching levels eq and content checking etc.
I created some batch processes for renaming completed files and dithering etc to final formats.

It worked great.

I did discover that you cannot have a mono reference track, which was a bit of a disappointment.
It would have been a help to be able to use reference tracks that are mono.

Other than that it was an excellent tool for that particular application

YMMV

Peter

Thanks, interesting use case.

Just stumbled upon this old thread whilst searching for “Mono Reference track”, and I see that Peter_B had the same issue many years ago.
I too am using a mono montage to master thousands of voice files, and as much as I love this workflow, it would be really great if we could insert a mono reference track, rather than having to use another normal mono track for the reference files.
I’m currently using WLPro 11.2. Are mono reference tracks possible in newer versions of WL?

This is not possible, sorry.

1 Like

Hey PG,

This is really a big miss in my opinion. Mono audio music mastering is just somehow not a consideration? Dialog/voiceover? Please reconsider.

MG

Hi!

Just an idea here…
Possible to make a stereo track of two mono tracks in Audio Editor
and use in a Montage as Reference just be aware of same audio twice
set - 3 dB - or -6 dB…
regards S-EH