Monogram controlling CC controlled by another remote control

I’ve noticed with Monogram fader that if I control a CC not controlled by another remote control it works, but I can’t control a CC controlled by another remote control. Is there any way around this?

Hi,

Do you record plain MIDI CC or do you use any way of Remote Control to control Cubase? What is the other device?

Hi Martin,

I’ve set up the monogram with MIDI Remote and I’m using Slot 1, 2 and 3; Send Slots and Selected Track. With Monogram setup I’ve setup the CC1 and CC11. The other main remote is my Komplete Kontrol keyboard that I can use but I’ve got the monogram closer to control. I’m also using a Stream Deck that is the other remote control.

Hi,

What kind of Slot, please?

So do you want to control Cubase via MIDI Remote?

Hi Martin,

I used what Dom Sigalas recommended on his YouTube setting up a MIDI Remote with the 3 faders I have. In the MIDI Remote Mapping Assistant, I chose the Selected Track, Send Slots, Slot 1 (2 and 3), Level for each of the 3 faders.

Hi,

Could you attach the settings of the Monogram MIDI Remote and the “other” MIDI device, please?

Hi Martin,

I’ve screen captured and attached the MIDI Remote Mapping Assistant of Monogram, the Studio Setup of the Komplete Kontrol S88 and the Generic Remote of the Stream Deck. I hope that is what you’re needing to check - let me know of anything else you need to see.

We should probably first establish a common language so we can understand each other better.
MIDI is a communication protocol. MIDI Continuous Controllers are 7-bit data values supported by the MIDI standard. Other communication protocols exists under the same bus (using the ports/cables/etc) such as MCU or HUI e.g.
MIDI CC can be recorded directly in Cubase without any “remote” setup required. They are recorded as MIDI events, just like regular MIDI notes or Pitchbend and you can view and edit those events in the MIDI Key Editor or List Editor.
Many VSTi (virtual instrument) allow you to map MIDI CC directly to a parameter. Often times the instrument has a “MIDI Learn” function within the instrument itself. CCs can also be pre-mapped by the manufacturer (see their documentation).
In addition to working with “raw” MIDI CC, Cubase also allow you to map MIDI CCs of a specific device to VST parameters. VST parameters typically have much higher resolution than MIDI CC and are normally edited via Automation Lanes in Cubase. VST parameters includes any parameter/value you can change on a VSTi but also includes built in parameters such as Volume Fader, Send Level, EQ, etc.

The way I read your first post is that you have several MIDI controllers that work well unless they try to control the same VST parameter? But I couldn’t see what parameter that would be in your later screenshots. But I actually think you can control the same parameters via multiple controllers. Can you explain exactly where the conflict is?

Hi mlindeb,

To give you an example, if I change the CC to something like CC4 or some other CC with MIDI Inserts, MIDI Monitor I can see that Cubase is receiving it when I move the fader. But if I choose CC1 or CC11 the MIDI Monitor doesn’t show that it’s picking up anything when I move the fader.

Hi,

This is because the MIDI CC1 and 11 are controlling the Send Level 1 and 2, therefore the MIDI data don’t pass to the track.

Hi Martin,

Ok, so just run it from Quick Controls?

Hi,

What do you want to achieve? What is your use case, please?

Hi Martin,

Well, I’m wanting to use my Monogram just to control particularly CC1 and CC11 at present. Other times I’ll be setting it up for other CCs or controls. I use Cubase 12 Pro for film scoring, and whilst the 3 controls on the left of the KK are useful, I’ve got my monogram just above the keyboard and easily accessible. I’ve got it set up fine now with QC (with MIDI Remote Mapping Assistant and the QC in Inspector) but at first I was following Dom’s video about setting up Monogram with MIDI remote, but I gather that the Send Level, is just doing that sending the level for other controls.

Hi,

If you want to combine the usage of plain MIDI CC controller and any kind of DAW controller, I found the best way to make MIDI Remote Script (and assign the controllers to Track Quick Control or Focus Quick Control; or one controller to the AI Knob…). I keep one of the page empty so Cubase pass the data thru to the track.

Hi Martin,

Ah, great, thanks. That makes sense. Just one question, you say you keep one of the pages empty so Cubase passes the data thru to the track. Sorry, one of the pages empty, what is that referring to?

Hi,

Sorry, I write the JavaScript code for the MIDI Remote Devices, so I don’t know if it’s working the very same way when using the Mapping Assistant. But if you make an empty page in MIDI Remote and you don’t assign any Cubase function to the controller, Cubase pass the MIDI data thru MIDI Remote to the track.

If you create a new Page in Mapping Assistant, I believe it’s not empty. It duplicates the current Page. So you would need to un-assign everything. Again, I’m not sure if it’s possible to do so in the Mapping Assistant (I’m afraid it’s not).

Hi Martin,

Ah right. JavaScript - I’m a coder and made some games with JavaScript, later lecturing in OOP, particularly Java and Python. Well, I noticed an interesting thing with the MIDI Remote. It has two copies of what I’ve called Monogram CC - one full and one blank. Before I’d tried deleting the empty one and the one that I’d programmed disappeared with it - I won’t do that again. So, yeah, there is a blank page there.

You don’t control a MIDI CC, you send it from your controller. If all you want is to send MIDI CC1 and 11 to Cubase, you don’t need to configure anything in Cubase. It’s if you want to bind/connect that MIDI CC to a VST function or parameter (such as a Send Level or Quick Control) that you need to set something up in Cubase, but then you’re controlling a QC or Send Level with a MIDI CC.

Ok, thanks mlindeb.