Dear Dorico software development team, dear community,
I am a composer from Hungary. After using Finale for 8 years and Sibelius for 13 years, this June I have definitely switched to Dorico. Now I just have finished my first major project, a 30 minutes long oratorio for soloists, choir and orchestra. While I absolutely love the software and its possibilities, after becoming familiar with the whole workflow, with all the respect I would suggest some important feature improvements which I think would enhance the user experience of this excellent program and would make it even more professional:
- overall performance boost for bigger projects (especially switching between Engrave and Write modes, or switching between parts, or working with Master Pages are unprofessionally slow),
- native Group labels shown at the beginning of every system in the whole score, full and abbreviated (f. ex. CHOIR),
- shortcut possibilities to Properties (for example Hide bracket for tuplets, or Barline interaction)
- in Engrave/Edit Font Styles, font style options for Parts too (f. ex. now I cannot have smaller Rehearsal Marks or bigger Tempi in my parts just if I set a custom scale in properties, which is very inconvenient),
- Show/Hide in score/parts option for independent items,
- automatically shown round bracketed cautionary accidentals at the start of new systems (which is now possible with very much work),
- new “attacca” or “segue” item, positioned right, at the end of flows,
- really working bordered Paragraph Styles (f. ex. for Layout names),
- creating/assigning items like Dynamics to tied notes (I mean, f. ex. to a note the end of a tie) should be much more simple, without untieing existing notes,
- creating multiple Cues, Playing techniques, Ornaments, Breath marks etc. at once, just like Dynamics which can be created for many staves at the same time,
11 fixing the problem of too many Condensing labels (for ex. “a2”) in Engrave mode, which is very stressful and irritating while working on a big project,
12 automatic numbering of bars with the same musical material, like this Sibelius Number Bars plugin (see the picture below),
- a simple ruler for assigning items together in Engrave mode (now I am using an other application, Free Ruler for this),
- more advanced page layout editing for text and graphics (like Text wrap around objects in InDesign,
- audio export time boost. While exporting PDF is unbelievable quick, exporting audio is really slow and problematic,
- measurement scale to the channel strips audio level in the Mixer,
- fixing the problem when editing a Property in Engrave mode, the score jumps away from that page to a very distant one,
- improved bracketing in tuplets: bracket shown only if a rest exists.
Thank you for your fantastic job!
Sincerely yours from Budapest!