Most important feature requests for Dorico 4

Dorico is an incredible software which combines pleasure of writing & productivity. I am not anymore using a Daw to produce my mockup (should I ?) but few functionalities would help :

1. the CC copy & paste CC with notes
  2. display several CC lane (dynamic & vibrato for instance)
  3. more effect channels (only one today)
  4. a more responsive mixer
  5. and in my dream : the CC lanes with the score (in edit mode) not only with the piano roll (as featured in Staffpad)
1 Like

Iā€™ve been noodling around this idea also, and have more and more been shifting to Dorico for MIDI production. If your sample output is your main product then yes, a DAW is needed for final mixing at least (Dorico is only two channel output). Otherwise Cubase more easily supports CC/MIDI tweaking than Dorico I think. But Dorico maps do so much of the heavy lifting to get usable output.

1. Isnā€™t this supported? I read some talk about this
  2. This would be good
  3. N/A for me as I mix in Cubase
  4. Same
  5. Iā€™d prefer keeping MIDI out of the score. Just get a second monitor and have them up simultaneously. Anyhow, Dorico has kept a strict separation between the tasks (e.g. Setup, Write, Engrave and so on) so I (thankfully IMHO) doubt youā€™ll ever get this
1 Like

ā€œIf I may highlight one more slight annoyance ā€“ when switching from Write to Engrave mode when Write is in Galley view, it always seems to shift to an apparently random nearby part of the page and I always get lost. If the item I have selected could always remain in view upon switching, it would save me having to scroll around the page finding my bearings each time I switch.ā€

Another vote for this! (I Write only in the galley modeā€¦)

4 Likes

Thanks !

Iā€™m aware thereā€™s a work-around by using tuplets, hiding everything and pasting in metre symbols, but thatā€™s what it is to me: a work-around.
Maybe Iā€™ve missed it in an announcement, if so that would make my day.

I know that 3/4 vs 6/8 is genuinly possible in Dorico 3.5 (because 8s = 8s), but the linked case (excerpt from John Williamsā€™ ā€œAdventures on Earthā€) is what I mean.
Screenshot 2020-11-30 194325.png

Another FR for v4: invisible barlines.

I do so much with chant which means open meter and split bars across staves. Usually I can fake it with dashed barlines with their dash length set to ā€˜0ā€™ but not always. The problem is when you go into note spacing mode, if there is no barline at the end of the stave thereā€™s no final anchor point to draw spacing to the right or to use as a base to condense the line to the left.

Alternatively, Iā€™d be happy if note spacing anchor points would appear at the end of every stave even when there is a split measure.

2 Likes

A huge +1 for both of these. ^^

2 Likes

A new/revamped editor for tempo marks that allows complete freedom of combinations.

1 Like

Oh, yes a big +1

1 Like
  1. Let us keybind arbitrary playing techniques to key combinations. Or, at least very least, let us keybind upbow/downbow.

2. Quick triplet entry. Have a key combation to create a single 3:2 tuplet. Triplet creation is needlessly keypress intensive for the common case.

3. Hide instruments (NOT players) per flow.

4. Better galley mode. For a start, show us system text/tempo markings/rehersal marks overlaid on the staff weā€™re currently editing, since in a large score the ACTUAL markings are offscreen somewhere 90% of the time

5. Creation of numbered repeated bars. Basically I see this working like repeated bars, just actually show the music and not the / symbol. Commonly done in percussion parts where e.g. an ostinato is played for 20+ bars.

6. Better support for languages (E.g. set language to German and itā€™s ā€œget.ā€, not ā€œdiv.ā€

7. More flexible tempos. You can create ā€œcresc poco a pocoā€ but not ā€œpoco a poco crescā€.

8. At least basic ornament playback.

1 Like
  1. This should do it:
					{
						"UI.InvokePaletteButton?PaletteIndicatorID=kPlayingTechniquePanel.pta.stringsDownBow&PaletteSectionID=kPlayingTechniquesStringsPanel&PropertyButton=false&UseLocalOverride=0" : [ "Ā§" ]
					},

{
						"UI.InvokePaletteButton?PaletteIndicatorID=kPlayingTechniquePanel.pta.stringsUpBow&PaletteSectionID=kPlayingTechniquesStringsPanel&PropertyButton=false&UseLocalOverride=0" : [ "Ctrl+Ā§" ]
					},
  1. Hereā€™s a workaround.

2. Thatā€™s not a tempo. You can use the prefix property already, though.

Iā€™m not disagreeing with any of these feature requests, naturally.

Being able to easily add a continuation line to any textual marking would be amazing. Right now some things can only be done via a workaround (someone please correct me if Iā€™m wrong!). For instance, at the moment I can turn on the gradual dotted line for ā€œrit.ā€ but not for ā€œcĆ©dezā€. It would be useful to have it for other things as well, such as shift-X text markings, etc.

If you want to add continuation lines for textual items, define them as playing techniques, which (as of 3.1) can have continuation lines of various kinds.

Another thing Iā€™d really like to see is stackable text on things like tempo.

Itā€™s quite common to see, for instance, tempos given on two lines, the top in the composers native language, and the 2nd in either Italian or English.

Similarly Iā€™ll see it done sometimes on dynamics when there are complicated dynamics or ā€œadditionalā€ requests, such as ā€œsotto voceā€ or the like.

Obviously this isnā€™t a problem if weā€™re just dealing with text objects, but other things arenā€™t as flexible.

Right, I have done that a couple times, but is there a way to do it without needing to create a custom playing technique item each time? For me it would be a lot more efficient to just type it out in the appropriate popover and flip a switch in the lower panel. And/or to flip a switch on an Absolute tempo marking to make Dorico think of it as a Gradual one. If itā€™s an exhausting problem of needing to semantically categorize every potential marking, a simpler option could maybe be to only add a new ā€œcontinuation lineā€ ability to Staff- and System Text. Then at least it would be very easy to achieve the visual effect, if not necessarily playback.

Iā€™d love to hear peoplesā€™ current workflows for this type of thing ā€“ maybe thereā€™s a shortcut I havenā€™t thought of.

It really doesnā€™t take long or very many clicks to create a new playing technique.

2 Likes

No it doesnā€™t. A little confusing navigating through the flow from there to expression map, but the new menu which pulls them all together will fix that.

Proper support for attaca movementsā€¦that will render in the parts as continuous music but can be built up from one flow per section. Section title above the first bar of the section, and no gap on playback.

2 Likes

My top wishes for version 4 are:

1. automatic ties to 2.+ voltas
  2. page break suggestions (similar to the cue suggestion feature), automatic V.S. markings based on Gouldā€™s page turn duration chart
  3. as an addition to No. 2: evenly distribute systems and bars to fit the page, so that bars and systems are adjusted on previous pages to fill all pages evenly and you no longer might end up with only one or two bars on the last page.
  4. editable instrument change locations (aka instrument change signpost)
  5. pitched instrument cues on unpitched percussion staves and vice-versa (without workaround)
  6. ā€œapplyā€ button for font styles and paragraph styles to preview changes without having to close the dialog.
  7. stacking index for playing techniques
  8. basic magnetic guides or vertical snapping for text and frames in Engrave mode
2 Likes

Would it be possible to have some additional letters when creating tuplets.
ex: 3:2h for hidden bracket and number, 3:2b for only bracket and 3:2n for only number?

Jesper

3 Likes