MOTU 828mkII FW and OS Mojave

Hi everybody,
I’m the owner of an old MOTU 828mkII FW and I think it’s still a good soundcard for what I need but recently I have problems trying to set MIDI-audio preferences in my mac mini late 2012; in particular: I had set MOTU analog outputs 5-6 for audio filepreview or internet audio streaming as they go to a couple of Creative computers monitors while I have main outputs going to my ADAM A5X but now I can’t no more find out a way to change this setting…
I checked on MOTU swebsite and I have latest firmware and drivers installed so I can’t understand; do you think it could be my MOTU is no more compatible with OS mojave? I didn’t find anything about it…
Thanx,
arfo

A mystery.

Your MOTU is compatible with Mojave according to the download info.

1. Check your AMS setup on the Mac
  2. Check your CueMix Console software on the MOTU to make sure your routing is correct and volumes are set.
  3. Double check the Studio Connections in Cubase as well

Thank you Shanabit,
eventually I solved the issue creating an aggregate device but I always have to be very careful with volume as sometimes it’s really very loud (depending on what site I’m visiting) and there’s a risk to damage speakers as the remote control doesn’t respond.
I also controlled in the system specs and the cuemix app is still 32 bit so it could be the reason for the issue, I can’t say.
Arturo

You should NEVER need the Aggregate setup in AMS to run this audio interface ever UNLESS you have another audio interface or driver you are wanting to link up with the MOTU.

Check your AUDIO CONNECTIONS in Cubase. You have something hosed up there IMO

Hi again Shanabit,
what do you mean with “hosed”?
I can assure I tried every possible setting with AMS and I got no results…
The only workaround I’ve found is to create an aggregate device and set MOTU as soundcard and the only couple of outputs I need…
Thank you,
Arturo

Meaning in the AMS you should SEE the MOTU Driver like I see my UA Audio TB here.

Notice I do NOT have to create an Aggregate Device for the Audio Interface to show up there. IF it is NOT then you have a driver issue with the MOTU. Once the driver is installed properly and shows in the AMS you can then select it in Cubase and assign whatever inputs and outputs you want in the Studio Connections.

1. In CUBASE you simply select your MOTU under
    Studio/Studio Setup/Audio System/ASIO Driver and select the MOTU

2. Under Studio/Audio Connection is where you create your INPUT and OUTPUT busses and ASSIGN a physical port on the MOTU for a connection.

3. IF it is NOT showing in AMS like mine is you should contact MOTU.
    Not being 64 bit CueMix could be the issue as well.

Im out of ideas here. Best wishes

Hi Shanabit,
I really appreciate your attempt to help me :slight_smile: :pray: but, unfortunately, the issue persists…

As you can see MOTU device is shown in my MacMini AMS but, even if I select Main Out for streaming, I get no sound from output 1-2 (main MOTU output channels) coming from the internet or audio file preview while I can get it I select any other output couple…
The only workaround I found out is to create an aggregate device where I only select MOTU and something changes… (Remote control no more running but I can set the main output volume manually…)
I know something is not right but MOTU didn’t answer me when I wrote them…

I’m starting to think I’ll have to change my soundcard soon; it’s still very good in itself but it’s getting older, cue mix is 32 bit only and recently MIC input 1 started crackling and making noises even when nothing is connected… And it’s firewire too…

No problems for now, on the opposite, with my main DAWs, Cubase 11 Pro and Live 10 standard, or others audio software routing…
Thank you once more!
Art

1. Right click on the MOTU driver on the left and select Use This Device For Sound Output

2. If you can’t right click on one of the other options and do the same thing, THEN go back to the MOTU driver and right click and Use This Device For Sound Output

Thank you Shanabit,
as I wrote I’d tried it yet, no way to get sound…
I’m out of ideas too :man_shrugging:

I would hit MOTU support and see

Sorry bro

I’ll try again, hope I’ll be luckier…
Thanks again!

1 Like