Mouse buttons stop working in Cubase 6.5?

After a few months of flirting with Ableton Live, I returned exclusively to Cubase and celebrated my re-commitment with an upgrade to 6.5. I’ve been using it daily, and I keep encountering this weird problem about every third time I launch Cubase: Eventually I reach a point where I am no longer able to do many things with the mouse. For example, most of the controls in the Transport Panel don’t work, and I can’t click anything in the startup dialog where you choose whether to open a recent project or create a new one.

When this happens I can use the mouse to activate most Cubase windows and drag them around by their title bars. I can also operate the transport controls by using the number pad on my keyboard. Other applications work normally when this occurs, so the weirdness is limited to Cubase operation.

It’s especially bad when it breaks on the startup dialog, because clicking the close button doesn’t work, and the only way to exit Cubase is to kill the process in Task Manager.

Quitting and restarting Cubase is not enough to make it work again. I have to either log out of Windows and log back in, or restart Windows in order to use Cubase again.

I don’t remember ever having this issue with previous versions of Cubase. Anyone else run into this? It’s a bit of a hassle.

I have 64-bit Cubase 6.5 installed, and 32-bit 5.5. I’m thinking about trying out 32-bit 6.5, but wanted to know if anyone else has been running into this oddness?

I’m not sure if my problem is like yours, but it may help.

Sometimes when I open a project (was in 6.07 and is now in 6.51) my scrollwheel doesn’t work.
When I open my mixer by hitting F3 and go back to my project window all is fine.

That’s may worth a try as a workaround.

Cheers, Matze!

I’ll try it next time it happens. Because it WILL happen again. Thanks.