Mouse causing ASIO performance spikes

Any fixes for this? I thought it might have been to do with USB power saving settings, so I have disabled ‘USB selective suspend setting’ is advanced power option in Win7. I’ll report back and see if it makes a difference.

I am using Play, and to be honest, it is more than likely the culprit. I love their libraries, but they don’t seem to be great at optimising their Play software.

It could also be Nvidia Geforce experience that is doing it, which I know was causing Cubase to crash/hang on exit.

It might be worth installing just the graphics drivers, without the additional Geforce experience software. It’s only really useful if you want it to auto update drivers and optimise your games anyway.

@Codsworth,

You say you’re using “Echo Layla 3G with PCI to PCIE x1 converter card”, Layla being a PCI card don’t you mean PCIE x1 to PCI converter?

I have a Layla PCI card too and am about to build a new machine but the new ASUS x99 boards don’t have any PCI slots. I’m interested to find out how well those converters work. It would save me a lot of money if I could get away using the old Layla, with which I’m very happy.

Sorry about my OT post…

Mauri.

Hi Mauri, it seems to work good at the moment. I can’t notice any difference in quality at the moment but will let you know if this changes

Hoping I can help here, I had the same problem with glitching and mouse cursor movement but it looks like (fingers crossed) I was able to resolve it. I have not seen this thread how many computer displays you are using so if you have more than one in your setup give this a try.

First my specs:

Cubase v8.0.5 (upgraded from v7.5.3)

Win7 Pro

6-core i7 Intel on an ASUS motherboard

32gig of ram

Three drives (two SSD, one regular Seagate Barracuda). One SSD is for OS and Programs; the second is for sample libraries and my Loops both Audio and Midi. The Seagate regular Drive is where I keep my Cubase projects.

ASUS Raedeon R9 200 Graphics card running two 27” displays through DVI to HDMI connections

Apollo 16 Quad Audio Interface via Firewire

OK, so I tried just about everything that was mentioned here with no luck, even CB 7.5 was messed up too. Was just about to do a reformat/re-install of everything but noticed that my display setup in the AMD Control Center was different than what Windows had (under Control Panelà Screen Resolution). It was backwards, Windows had display #1 to the Left, AMD had #1 to the right. And both had display #2 set to my main display. It took a few cable swaps and some reboots but I got them in sync (#1 to the Left set to Main, #2 to the right Extended).

I have not had any problems for about a week now, no audio glitches at any buffer setting, VSTs are behaving (including NI Kontakt and EW Play).

But I should note that I did two other things around the same time that may or may not be factors, so depending on your setup you may want to check these too (everything is finally working so I’m reluctant to test these on their own):

1. I swapped my CB Workspace setup, moved Track Lanes, Sample and Midi editors and a minimal mix console to my left (#1 main display), VSTs, Plugins, Mediabay, everything else is on the right #2 display. 2) I turned off the Display Scaling options in the AMD Control Center.

Hope something here helps someone, feel free to PM or reply to the thread. I’ll check in and give you any updates if my situation craps out again.

Good luck

Thanks all of you, will check :slight_smile:

The past few days I have had an intermittent, irritatingly jerky and sluggish mouse (MS wireless mouse 5000 with fresh batteries) so I just removed the NVidia Experience software and the NVidia Audio Driver (It was disabled at all times) via Programs and Features and after an hour of use my mouse has been back to it’s normal self again. Win 8.1

After being driven crazy by this for a loooong time, I was just able to fix it by going into Preferences and disabling:

Editing → Tools → Select Tool: Show Extra info

To be clear, the box is now unchecked.

The problem I was having is that in addition to performance spikes, the entire GUI would also slow down when I would move the mouse across the project window (playback cursor would get jerky, meters would have severely reduced frame rate, etc). This would happen only in large projects.

I was originally able to fix it by reverting to a much older ATI driver, but then it reappeared again at some point during the Cubase life cycle. Now it is fixed again - I can verify it by enabling/disabling the Preference above. The problem reappears with it enabled, disappears with it disabled.

Might be worth trying if you are experiencing similar issues.

Thank you, will try :slight_smile:

Unfortunately already had it unticked but cheers anyway :slight_smile:

I have this issue too. I thought I had it tackled by using an older Nvidia driver but that did not solve it. It took me awhile to realize it was due to the mouse. Then further investigation made me realize it also may be USB events that trigger it. For me I started noticing it when I moved to Windows 10. That may be due to having different USB drivers loaded for my motherboard in Windows 7. Also it seems tied to Cubase as I just tried it out and REAPER seemed to not spike.

While the mouse movements don’t cause any problems, clicking on empty spaces in the project window definitely causes spikes. Spikes aren’t high enough to cause any dropouts, but I see them in the meter. I don’t remember seeing this in C6.

I have a Radeon HD7770 and Catalyst 15.7, BTW.

It does seem to be linked to an area on the canvas that is empty. Really odd. Is this also present when working in windows 7? Maybe I just didn’t notice it before. It isn’t present with OS X.

Yeah, I am on W7 Pro SP1 x64 here.

It’s actually more than on a blank area. Open up a midi file and drag to select a bunch of notes and it spazzes out too. I’m surprised this hasn’t gotten more attention. Maybe it is isolated to a certain chipset or driver set for USB based devices.

Just for information. I have reinstalled Windows 7 and loaded the mother board drivers provided by Asus and have no problems now. So for me the problem is linked to Windows 10 somehow. The solution for me, don’t use Windows 10.

Yeah, the area selection rectangle in the midi editor would give me bigger spikes here, too.

On my machine, this is more noticeable if I have the ASIO guard turned off, though. With AG turned on, the spikes are small enough it is hard to notice. Now that I know what to look for, I can see it, but otherwise I would not have noticed it.

I think it might be the area selection rectangle that’s causing the spikes rather than USB. USB related problem should happen no matter where you are clicking on, but when I click on empty area in inspector or the top area of mixer, I don’t get any spikes. The “clicking in empty area” thing should actually trigger the selection rectangle, and I think that’s what’s causing the momentary spikes.

Are you actually using the WiFi capability of the motherboard?

The WiFi software stack can interfere with DAW operations.

I would suggest using only a wired Ethernet connection, as they tend to require a lot less overhead.

If you must use WiFi with your DAW:

1. Buy a WiFi bridge, which is essentially an external WiFi client, with Ethernet wired connection(s).
  2. Totally remove the WiFi card and drivers.
    ___ If you can’t remove the WiFi hardware, ensure it is disabled in Device Manager, and then remove the drivers.
  3. Connect your DAW to the WiFi bridge with an Ethernet cable.
  4. Setup the WiFi bridge for your WiFi network.

Thank you Patanjali, i’ll give it a go, cheers :smiley:

Hi, had exactly the same problem using EWQL Spaces (based on the Play engine) and the built-in intel HD4600 graphics on both my i5 and brand new haswell i7 machines - solved it in one stroke by going to control panel - mouse - pointers and choosing Windows Inverted (system scheme).

It does change your mouse cursor to a black silhouette - but took away all of my CPU spikes/glitches whenever the mouse moved. Give it a go!

Andy

You’re welcome.

It may or may not help in your current situation, but it may save you from hiccups and frustration later.