Move to another staff

Wrote piano piece with melody in the right hand (G clef) and now want to move the melody OUT of the piano staff into it’s own “Lead Voice” staff above. Is there an easy way to do this (other than a tedious copy-and-paste), and can I move the lyrics also (without having to type them in again for the new vocal staff). Tried a couple of measures with cut-and-paste, but that totally messed up the spacing of everything!
… Frederick

Alt N will move the selection to the staff above.

Where would one find that in the thousand pages of user manual, please?
Thanks for the tip, but much of Dorico seems to assume we know where to find things.

I searched the documentation for move to staff. This was the first result: Moving notes/items to other staves

(Searching for move to another staff yields the same first result.)

1 Like

It’s a pity the cmd to move down a staff isn’t Alt-S (North and South). It’s Alt-M

You guys are GREAT.
Love Dorico, but she’s a bit cantankerous for us newbies. :sunglasses:

You can change it if you really want to. Cross staff is set to ‘N’ and ‘M’, so this maps to that making it easier to remember. Sure, you could also map ‘S’ to cross staff down but then what would you set the key-command for a slur to?

1 Like

I just remind myself that N = North and M is not N.

2 Likes

No Craig, I’m quite happy with Alt-M. As Derrek says M is not N (which sounds like a logical proposition from Wittgenstein!)

I’ve assigned Shift Alt N and M to Duplicate to Staff Above/Below. (The M one is something to do with Markers, which I’m unlikely to use.)

It completes the N/M set nicely.

1 Like

I use Ctrl(Cmd)-Alt. I often need to shift an octave after duplicating which is Ctrl-Alt-ArrowKey. Makes that process quick and easy.

You guys are SUPER.
Thanks!

As a new user I find that if one doesn’t search for exactly the correct term, you won’t find it. If one doesn’t know to search for ‘move to staff’ it will take forever to find the solution. I might have been likely to search for ‘extract melody’ which would find nothing. We really need a “how to do…” document that deals with less common issues like this. (Short one sentence answers pointing us to the right spot in the manual would do the trick. And it should come from Dorico, not be a ‘user’ produced document).

It’s the title of this thread, though. Granted, if it had been you or someone else starting the thread, you may have used a different choice of words.

It’s well worth spending some time browsing the Help pages. There are also the videos showcasing features, as well as John Barron’s Discover Dorico sessions, plus the Tips Tuesdays little guides.

I really don’t think you can blame a lack of material.

1 Like

If what seem like reasonable searches to you aren’t producing relevant material, you can always let me know. The in-built search engine isn’t as sophisticated as an external search engine (as one of my manual colleagues so eloquently put it, “In order to do the job of [insert search engine here], we’d need the resources of [said search engine], simply for searching”).

However, the embedded metadata in the form of indexterms (each and every topic generally has at least 3 routes to it from the index, each of which brings with it an expansion of related terms) in addition to phrasing that I pick up from the terminology I see users using when asking questions, should go some way to help.

In addition, and I appreciate that my approach in this regard doesn’t match everyone’s way of thinking, the overall structure of the manual is intended to be at least somewhat deliberate. In Write mode → Arranging tools you will find a bunch of sub-topics about how to manipulate notes etc once they already exist on staves. So right near “explode”, “reduce”, and “changing the voice of notes” you’ve got “moving notes/items to other staves”. It’s also next to “moving notes rhythmically” so that the ideas of moving notes left/right and moving them up/down to other staves are together.

I often do a web search, with the caveat that User Guide results are often for an earlier version – but then I can go to the same place in the right version. Searches often include results from this forum, which are helpful not only with the information itself, but also for context such as how others are asking the same questions, and relating to the software design.

I did both the Discover Dorico sessions. Excellent.

They are - I’d buy a used car from John!

I do exactly the same thing.