Moving a unisono note in cross-staff notation

Hi! As the screenshot shows, I need to move the top d some distance to the right, so the stems align. Is there a way to do that? Have looked through the many options in Write and Engrave mode, but haven’t been successful so far. – Thank you!

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-02 um 08.42.46

Ah, I guess the easiest way is to NOT scale the very first note in the quintuplet…
Does anybody know of other methods? Like moving the stem (manually)?

Here I made a new notehead…
Not scaling the first note leaves a thicker stem, so…

1 Like

Simply changing the voice column doesn’t work?

Thank you for your input, @fratveno !
Working through the “notehead creation” options. Currently a new notehead is moved next to the cross-staffed notehead (they do not overlap) - why?
(Also: what is the mathematics behind resizing a down-scaled note to its original size again? A grace note is currently set to 70%; the new notehead is set to a scale of 185% – I am ashamed not to see the correlation there…)

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-02 um 12.34.11

@Romanos Thank you for your feedback, too! Unfortunately I do not know Dorico well enough yet (still a newbie), so I have no idea what you mean. Would you mind to explain your idea for me, please?

UPDATE: @Romanos Got it! But no, it does not fix the problem. Instead, the note is moved aside from the cross-staffed note.

Now that it is in its own voice column, you can use the note spacing tool to fix it as you’d like. Click on the main column, then a secondary handle appears and you can move that.
Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 9.23.03 AM
Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 9.23.42 AM

1 Like

Indeed, voice column adjustment is probably the easiest solution… except I’ve personally concluded that in Dorico, avoiding manual adjustments if at all possible, is always preferable :smiley:

1 Like

@fratveno And do you happen to have a formula at hand, how ratios of scaled-down => scaled-up notes relate to each other mathematically?

It’s about the easiest formula I can think of: 1/x

Ex.: The inverse of 125% = 1 / 1.25 = 0.8 = 80%.

1 Like