MOX8 Editor VST with Cubase 8 Artist

Progress report.

I read an article by Bad Mister that stated something to the effect, “The Editor VST doesn’t work in Cubase 8 yet. It should by about mid-March.” I don’t know how valid that comment is, but no matter. I have it working providing I select Empty and not Yamaha MOX6/MOX8 with VST editor (2StereoRec Mode) from the Cubase Hub when I start Cubase.

I figured out some routing and can now record several MIDI tracks from my MOX8. I saved that project as a template and will work off it for further projects. The only difference between AI5 and Cubase 8 is I must still manually select the tracks in the Track (F3) area of my MOX8 to hear the instrument I’m recording on that track. There doesn’t seem to be any way around that. No matter, I’m happy if that’s the only thing that is different from AI5.

My next task is to import a MIDI file created on my Tryos 5, and see if I can establish communication between the Tyros 5 and Cubase 8. By the way, to implement all this, I used the MIDI Device Manager and installed the Instrument Definition files for both keyboards. It’s so nice to have a version of Cubase that has the updated files!

Now that I’ve recorded a simple 5 track MIDI melody, I’ve had time to explore some of the finer features of Cubase 8. The ability to move windows to my second monitor (something you can’t do with Elements or earlier–not that I could see) is worth the price of admission.

More to follow. Thanks for listening to me rant. Glad I’m not the first!