MP3 Encoder Ver6 Cubase ? Free or not?

I loaded up ver 6 today and messed around with it for a bit. I then put in the key code for a full version 6 upgrade. That went smooth until I notice the MP3 Encoder leaves you with a time bomb license. I go to the “Shop” page on the website and it shows the MP3 product and you read this:

“MP3 Update Patch
The MP3 Update Patch for Cubase Artist 6, Cubase Studio 5, Cubase Studio 4, Cubase Essential 5, Cubase Essential 4, Cubase AI/LE 5, Cubase AI/LE 4,Sequel 2, Sequel LE and WaveLab Elements 7 utilizes the Fraunhofer MP3 codec for highest audio quality. (Requires an Internet connection for license transfer)”

Now then, from the above you would think that those with the Ver 6 full or upgrade product you get it for free and you retain your rights to it since it came as a version 5.xx update. So why does my elicenser not show it as a full licence? Rather it shows the date 2011-03-04. So will it die on that date?

I know it is $16 US, but that is not the point. We had it in version 5, so is it now pulled out and you have to purchase it? Or is my setup wrong? Or will it just keep on working once it hits the date above?
***Can someone who has Cubase 6 Upgrade check their eLicenser and tell me if your says something like: Local, Sel, Demo, Expiration Date: 2011-03-04, Remaining Starts: 20 ?
Thanks,
LB

I also noticed this when installing Cubase 6 and I think this might be related to Cubase 6 Artist installation which seems to take place too while Cubase 6 is installed. At least one of the Cubase 6 video tutorials referred to the mp3 feature only being included in Cubase 6 (for free).

Cheers,
Bernard

Thanks Bernard!

BTW - What a cooky way of showing you own something! In that it says one thing and your allowed another. Very strange to me and yes it should be addeded to the FAQ’s. But my guess is others will still be asking the same questions overy time. Thus it woiuld be best to fix it in the long run.

JMHO…
LB

BTW…
http://lame.sourceforge.net/
LAME, one of the best MP3 encoder for e.g. “Audiograbber”.

can this be somehow integrated in Cubase?

anyone?

I’m Having the same problem. I upgraded from cubase 5 to cubase 6. Importing mp3 is not possible on my Macbook Pro (cubase 6 64bit). However, it works when installing cubase 6 on windows 7.

Is there a problem with the mp3 encoder in cubase 6 for mac users?

Hi there,

@swtoms4 - I guess you’ve found the solution by now, but just in case I wanted to share what I read in the read me file of the installation disc - you can only import mp3 when using 32bit Cubase 6!

BTW I just installed my upgrade to Cubase 6 (from 5) and I have the same notice period for the mp3 encoder…
That is obviously a Steinberg mistake.
I am just wondering, why does it take so long to fix?..